Back to trains after 27 years; with some questions

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


power street service

major slacker
Hi, glad to be a member! I'm back into this after a 27 year hiatus, and now my son can enjoy it with me. I guess I'll start with a basic question....can I change my Bachmann EMD FT shell with another model/brand, or do I have to stick with Bachmann shells only? I'd like to switch to a GP40 or other Conrail-era style engine.
 
Hello and welcome aboard. As far as your Bachmann FT, it's possible to swap shells but, even if the new shell fits the frame length, it's unlikely that the clips that hold the shell to the frame will be in the same place. You'd be better off to get a new GP40 or other more modern engine and hang on to the FT for something like excursion service. You can get an Atlas Trainman model GP38-2 in Conrail livery for $39.99 at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/751-903.htm. It's a nice running locomotive and perfect if you're just starting out.
 
Hello and welcome aboard. As far as your Bachmann FT, it's possible to swap shells but, even if the new shell fits the frame length, it's unlikely that the clips that hold the shell to the frame will be in the same place. You'd be better off to get a new GP40 or other more modern engine and hang on to the FT for something like excursion service. You can get an Atlas Trainman model GP38-2 in Conrail livery for $39.99 at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/751-903.htm. It's a nice running locomotive and perfect if you're just starting out.

Thanks for the reply, I figured it might not work. I'm ready to jump feet first into it this time, as I was only 10 when I had trains before. I can't wait to start detailing some of my cars and weathering....looks like alot of fun and the payoff will be great!
 


:) Welcome back to the hobby and to this forum. I am also a returnee after many years of: no space, or no money, or no time, or ...:D

Lots of new developments out there since you were in. I strongly advise you to readup on DCC and its benefits over DC power. You will be amazed. Here is a link to very good information on DCC. Tony's Exchange is also a very good source of equipment and parts for DCC http://tonystrains.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm
 
Welcome back to the hobby!

How large of a layout are you planning?

For now, I'm doing the Bachmann layout as pictured below with misc buildings with a New England theme. New Haven, Boston & Maine and Conrail trains will be used (approx 1970 vintage). It's for my son also, so I'm not going to get too elaborate on this layout (for now.....) ;) Thanks to all the replies, I'm sure I'll be asking alot more questions as we move along, Josh. (The airport is not staying....not enough room..yet!)

oprdhy.jpg
 
Welcome aboard Power, sure glad that you came back and brought a new engineer with you . Hope you and your son have lots of fun . And those New England lines were some fine railroads !!
 
Hello Power and Welcome to the forum and back to this great hobbie. I'm sue you'll enjoy yourself here, lots of friendly people as your already beginning to see and most every one is more than willing to help in anyway they can!

Btw: I too took a long break from being in mrr again too.
 
welcome. this IS the best place for beginners. these guys have tons of valuable experience and they dont hesitate to share it.

nice set up you got there. is that a little 1/87 DC3?
just my opinion but i certainly think you should keep the airport. i love airplanes too (i work for an airline) i just dont model them :-(
maybe on my next layout ill include a little regional strip. happy railroading and keep the photos coming..
 


welcome. this IS the best place for beginners. these guys have tons of valuable experience and they dont hesitate to share it.

nice set up you got there. is that a little 1/87 DC3?
just my opinion but i certainly think you should keep the airport. i love airplanes too (i work for an airline) i just dont model them :-(
maybe on my next layout ill include a little regional strip. happy railroading and keep the photos coming..

I like planes as well. The airport came with some of my deceased brother's train stuff (mostly 027 scale), so I thought it fitting to use.
 
Welcome back too the worlds best hobby for families!!!
I'm located in New England and if there is anything I can locate for you or do any reasearch about New England please let me know, I couldn't figure out where you are from, you might be from New England and if thats the case...Never mind!!!
Happy to see those who are returning to the hobby.
Good luck and enjoy the memories you are about too make.
Jess Red Horse.
 
Welcome back too the worlds best hobby for families!!!
I'm located in New England and if there is anything I can locate for you or do any reasearch about New England please let me know, I couldn't figure out where you are from, you might be from New England and if thats the case...Never mind!!!
Happy to see those who are returning to the hobby.
Good luck and enjoy the memories you are about too make.
Jess Red Horse.

I live in Taunton, Ma(which was the sight of a New Haven freight train crash) and was born in Middleboro which had a large train station (see avatar) which handled approx 6 lines at one point. Thanks for all the responses, Josh.
 
Hi, P-Street and welcome. Like many others, I've just gotten back into HO about a year ago. Heard a HO DCC steam engine and that is all it took. I had 17 DC locomotives that all went to eBay and have slowly added to the roster. Now have 4 locos. I run the 4 with a Digitrax Zypher and am very pleased with it. The folks on this forum helped me to not re-invent the wheel. Besure to visit the "Showin Off" forum - a lot of good stuff!
I look forward to seeing more pix.
Enjoy, these miniatures are GREAT!
regards,
Jon
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top