ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hello,
I'm getting back into the hobby, and will be starting a new layout. I have my track plan down,track chosen and lots of other stuff I have made my mind up on.
BUT, There is always a but right. I'm still a bit confused on DCC. Is there some recommended reading on this subject? I was a n scaler 20 years ago, but want and like the newer power run today, but don't know if the new stuff runs on standard MRC unit controls. So I'd like to get up to speed on DCC and learn if I have to have it to run the new stuff.
I still have all my Kato U boats and Atlas geeps that I'd still like to run though. Questions questions questions.
Welcome back. DCC can seem daunting at first but it really is a lot easier than DC wiring with blocks once you get a basic understanding of how it works. Almost any engine can be retrofitted with DCC. It just depends on how much owrk you're willing to do and how good you are with a soldering iron. There are also guys here that will do it for you for a reasonable price. I'd recommend you start with the DCC primer at http://www.tonystrainexchange.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm. It's very comprehensive yet still easy to understand. There are many other resources at Tony's as well if you poke around, including instructions on how to install decoders in specific engines.
I started reading this today, after I had narrowed my choice down to two. I now know what I am going to buy and that thread was pretty much the info that finalized my decision.
In addition to the web sites mentioned, Kalmbach has some good books on DCC. I'd recommend "The DCC Guide" by Don Fiehmann.
To get back to your original question, old-fashioned DC is still an option. Most of the "new stuff" is available either with or without DCC decoders installed. Since you're building a new layout, DCC is probably the way to go, but be sure to factor in the cost and time to install decoders in your older locos before making a final decision.
Ahhh, someone else who has started/stopped/started with model RR'ing. Started my N scale RR only after putting my Rokal TT gauge flat door layout away for "a season". Now just starting to think about the TT layout as my N scale is well under way with all systems operating. The TT RR will be mostly a display layout and the N scale will be my "real' operating layout.