Back Drop Height

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
IMG_5494.png


I'm at the point of starting to install the supports for the backdrops on the peninsulas of the D&J Railroad. The previous layout was an around the wall layout so I didn't have the opportunity to experiment with the height of the backdrops when there is track on the other side of the benchwork.

Right now I have the 2X4s cut to 20" above the roadbed. I intend to apply 1/4" drywall to them and paint it sky blue.
Any suggestions as to a better height solution?
IMG_5541.png


The ongoing layout construction can be followed at:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24509
 
Twenty inches sounds about right, although the idea is to essentially obstruct anything but the ceiling from appearing to the viewing eye. So, people of different height, and depending on the level at which the tracks run relative to their eyes, may not get the full effect you intend, while shorter people will possibly have more than enough height. It's a crap shoot.

If you can leave the risers as they are, but use hardboard or something suitable with a top edge in excess of about 75-80" off the standing surface affording the view, you will have a good view block or backdrop. As the operating surface height for the rails rises toward chin height, the backdrop height doesn't have to be quite so high above it, maybe only 16"
 
Ok, so you're saying that the average viewer would have to look up to see the top edge of the backdrop, right?
In the picture the rail height is right about 42" above the floor.
 


I have mine so it is about 75" which for me is about 3-4" above the top of my head and thus about 6" above my eyes. This seems to work well for me
 
Any suggestions as to a better height solution?
I always say as high as possible without impacting the room lighting. You neglected to mention if you were planning on putting over track lighting and valances. I gathered that you are not. That would definitely be a factor in the height.
 
At first I didn't catch what you were doing, but after closer inspection I see the studs and understand your question. I can see your room finished and can imagine viewers ambling along the long curvatures of the layout. Nice! If that is correct, I want the backdrop keeping my eyes in the space you want me to see and not beyond. The back drop should be a little higher than the typical adult eye level. As another poster mentioned, you will need the correct lighting for areas because the height of the backdrop will cast shadows. Can be beautiful. Hope that helps. Please post progress from time to time.
tooshort_zps5ee53215.jpg
backdrop_zps132dc321.jpg
backdrop2_zpse0b5c6f0.jpg

First is short backdrop. Viewer sees birds-eye. Will have to bend down to capture intended view with respect to backdrop.
Second & third images are eye level (higher) backdrops. More aesthetically appealing (but more expensive and labor intensive for sure).
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top