Bachmann's E-Z command system...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Dameon

Member
So what do you think of it?

I am contemplating using a DCC system on my new layout. I've never used one before and the Bachmann system looks pretty user friendly. I'd be running N-scale steam and I'll likely have to install decoders into some of my locos. I'm not afraid of a little soldering, but I am worried about if the chips will fit into an N scale tender. I know my layout will never grow to be a room sprawling empire (basements are rare where I live and my layout has to share space in the room with my "home office" and workbench). I seriously doubt my number of engines will ever break into double digits (I'd rather have only a few quality engines that I use than have a collection of shelf queens).
 
I was like you. I doubted I would have more than five or six engines, but four years later I have 13. It's the nature of the beast. You see something that appeals to you and it shows up at Christmas...every time...every year. Then there's that can't-pass-this-up blowout sale you spot while surfing. Before you know it, four years have gone and you don't know where to park all your stuff. Engines don't take up all the room...it's the cars you buy to go behind them that take up the lion's share.

About the EZ-Command. It is a sedan with a twin-cylinder engine in it. It'll move the car, but only just. The EZ-Command is very limited in its features. That may not be a show stopper for you, but when I learned that it couldn't do more than change the address on a brand new DCC engine to whatever number you wanted, and blow the whistle and the other functions, I felt it was not for me. I wanted to be able to programme the momentum, alter the whistles from the selection on the Tsunami decoders I own, adjust bell ringing rates, and so on. The EZ-Command won't let you do these things. It will play all the major common functions, but you won't be able to adjust any CV's beyond the addressing ones.

There is a way around this problem, but it requires you to take the engine to a friend's house, or to your hobby shop, and have them make the adjustments to your decoder's settings. If you must do a full reset to factory defaults (it happens from time to time), you'll have to go back to your friend/retailer and have them do it all over again.

When I first got mine, I didn't really understand its power limitations. I believe it was only 1 amp...it may be more these days, or perhaps there are additional boosters available...someone else will help me out with that. But, one amp is very low for all but a tiny layout with only three DCC (non-sound) engines, each pulling a decent load. If you add grades it may be too much...not sure.

If you don't mind these limitations, and understand that it is very likely you will have to shell out more money within a couple of years at most for a more powerful and more capable system, then by all means dive right in and enjoy it to the extent possible. If you really have the self-control to deny yourself even one or two more engines within 24 months, I would be greatly admiring of that quality, and you would still be in control of a capable system. My experience, from reading what others say here and on several other forums, is that virtually none of us can resist the occasional purchase, and they tend to be engines. Before you know it, you have three or four to run and may be out of power. This is especially true of diesels when we find we want to MU them. I can't say whether or not the EZ-Command allows you to consist engines...again, someone else will have to speak up.
-Crandell
 
So basically it's just a toy compared to the others?

It sounds like I should just wait and get a better system.

Yes, I can wait on buying lots of locomotives and other things. It's not self control, it's finances permitting! As I said I'd rather buy quality than quantity. I am still in the planning stages of this layout because my wife and I are in the process of buying the house it will be built in! So there are some rather large and expensive projects up in the air right now that take financial precedence. Meanwhile I concentrate on the planning and the "smaller things" that go into the layout; collecting scenery stuff, building kits, tracks, and rolling stock here and there.
 


The E-Z Command system is very basic, as Crandell stated. If the choice was DC or E-Z Command because of budget constraints, going with the E-Z Command is a much better choice that staying with DC. It's not a toy. It is simply limited in what control you have over the motor, lights, and sound, if you have sound equipped engines. You can only have 9 engines in the system. The light control is on or off. There is no consisting or goodies like momentum control because you can't access the command variables that allow you to change such things. The 1 amp power output is more than ample for three or four N scale engines at once. The main advantage is that the E-Z Command is a very inexpensive way to get into DCC if you're not sure model railroading is really going to be a major hobby. If you already know the MR is what you want, and you have the budget, there are several more capable starter set in the $125 to $150 range. Rather than get involved in a religious war about which one is best, read the numerous threads in this section and decide for yourself.
 
I have the E-Z Command system for my layout. I am newly getting back into the hobby. The E-Z Command can be found very cheap, that is it's big advantage. It will let you get into DCC for not very much.

It will allow you to address up to 10 engines. #10 by default is DC. That is handy if you have a DC engine you want to run on the layout. If you hook up a standard DC controller to the DCC controller, then #10 will become a DCC channel and the DC controller will directly control the DC train.

The advantage I see with it right now for me, is that I do not need to worry about isolating any sidings and installing switches to power them separately. If you want to park a DCC engine, you just select it, and turn the throttle to 0. IT doesn't matter where the train is on the layout. With a DC layout, you will need to pull the engine onto a section that is isolated from the rest of the track and flip a switch to kill power to that section. It isn't hard to wire up, but that is extra soldering, extra wiring, more switches to buy, more room taken up on the control panel etc. Plus, while you are backing up that engine, or stopping it, any other engine running will do the same thing (unless you wire up the layout for multiple cab controll, but that is much more complex wiring and more than the EZ Command system).

I think the book for the E-Z Command says the system is only guaranteed to operate 2 HO trains at a time. "more than 2 trains might be un-reliable", is what I think it states. That implies to me, that I might be able to run 3 trains without problem, but they won't guarantee that it will. This does not mean you cannot have more than 2 trains on the layout. You could have more, you are just limited in the # are are running at any given time. There is also a 5 amp booster that is sold for this system. I am not sure if that booster would work with other brands (if you upgraded later) or if other brands of boosters would work with this DCC system. I would think it would, but I have not really looked into it at all.

Obviously, if you have the extra $$ available, then the smart move would be to get one of the more advanced systems to begin with, though.

My 2 cents...
 
I recommend the MRC Prodigy Express for an into level DCC system. I have it, and it can do a lot of things. If you want to upgrade, that is very easy to do with the Prodigy Advanced. Others will say what systems they prefer, always something to look into.

I researched DCC for a few years before I decided what I wanted. You have to know what you want to do when purchasing. If you just want something that will run a train, go cheap. If you want something that can do everything, it won't be that cheap.
 
A DCC system choice is not the easiest decision for the new comer to DCC. At present I'm in the same situation. As you can see out of 3 posts 2 are not in favor and one is.
Me? well I'm still deciding although I sent out a query about the MRC Prodigy units. It's a real toss up, that only you can decide. The more advantages there is to a unit, the more it will cost. For myself the EZ system doesn't come close to satisfying the simplest requirements I want. The next 3 starter sets come close but would require an upgrade. The cost of the upgrade would be almost as much as the next level of DCC offered by each manufacturer. So I'm still searching on what is best for me.

The information each member has posted for you is their honest opinion, only you can make the final decision. Read carefully the statements that each has posted, then form your opinion if it meets your requirements.
There are excellent starter sets offered by MRC http://modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=1990 and Digitrax http://www.digitrax.com /prd_zep_basic_set.php and NCE http://www.ncedcc.com/ "Click on PRODUCTS then click on POWER CAB
I will offer this, each one of the above starter sets is far superior in operation and versatility than the EZ system, however if the Bachmann set fills all of your DCC requirements, and you have no intention of expanding, decided that speed control is not that important then maybe the EZ set is for you. (I don't know if the EZ system will do sound but if you plan on sound in the future you should certainly look into it.
The cheapest of the above starter sets, the Prodigy Express is only $40 to $60 more than the EZ system, the others are slightly more. If you don't need a walk around throttle I'd consider the Zephyr as it has it all except the walk around throttle. In all these sets add on throttles can be purchased. There is also plans that you can build a simple throttle of your own for the Zephyr.
Before you purchase, be sure the system you select can handle your basic DCC needs and since needs increase over time, be sure it can be expanded or updated.

Cheers
Willis
 
I ended up getting an EZ Command in a set off of ebay, but I only did it because I was able to get it for only $82 in a set that included an engine, 3 cars and a small track set up. I am just starting out though, did not have any HO trains and still do not know whether I want to model in N or HO. So I bought it as a toy, to set up and break down and learn a little bit about DCC.

I know that I likely will replace it within two years with something like a Zephyr. Already I know I want to do sound and I want more control. The sound functionality is basically taking all of the decoder defaults, no ability to reprogram as someone else pointed out. And since the controller only comes with a 1 amp powerpack, unless I choose N, it won't run enough trains for me. The dvd that comes with the system shows it running at least 3 HO diesels without the additional booster, but they only guarantee two. Adding the 5 amp booster would pretty much max the system out, but since it costs as much as a Zephyr, I will just get than instead.

At the price I got it, I don't regret the purchase since it will allow me to start off with DCC while I build my layout. But if I paid the normal price for this set I would have just been patient or sucked it up for a Zephyr.

Since you already are on N, you would probably be able to run 4 or 5 engines with it, maybe that is enough. But unless you can get it for significantly less than its asking price(you can on the net), I would suck up the extra cost for a Zephyr (from the net). Simply for the fact that you start out with 2.5 amps of power with a Zephyr Starter Set.
 
Suppose you could buy an inexpensive calculator for $6.00. It is known to be a good quality product. It can allow you to do addition and subtraction, but not multiplication or division. Knowing what you might want to do when making daily living decisions, would you buy it? Not even for $6.00? Meet the EZ-Command for my way of seeing it.

Motive decoders allow you to tailor the way their host locomotives behave. Do real locomotives lurch into motion near 6 scale miles per hour? Or do they slowly turn their drivers and pick up speed? Do they come to a halt in 30 scale meters from a scale 45 mph? Welcome to EZ-Command. Unless you control your own speed steps, as you would have to do in DC, and enjoy that intensive involvement, what would be the use of a DCC system that won't let you use the designed features of the decoder you pay for? Or, another way of asking the question...why have the decoder at all? Perhaps just wiring your layout in blocks will achieve your aims.

About the only advantage this system will give you over DC and blocks is to park engines on energized track and play with others without fearing that all of them will begin to move off and chase it and run into misaligned turnouts. It will allow you to play the whistle and such, but you can get Blue Line engines that do that.

It should be clear that I have a distinct bias against the EZ-Command, and I admit it readily. In for a penny, in for a pound I say. Get the real McCoy.

-Crandell
 
If you watch the bay i have seen zephyrs and prodigy express go for $99, If you wait for a good deal you can get much better systems for only alittle more
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top