Bachmann update...
Received the replacement gears from NWSL (along with the wheelsets I've been waiting on through my LHS for 3 months...). They sent me the wrong replacement set of gears. Apparently Bachmann had 2 different runs of the 44 tonner. The older version had a motor on top of each truck, and the newer version had a single motor. I was sent the replacement gear for the single motor when in fact I had the double motor version. At the time of initial order I wasn't asked by NWSL which version I had so this wasn't a big deal, as I didn't know there was two different runs.
Called NWSL and spoke with their tech Dave and he fixed me up with not only the gear, but replacement wheelsets as well, which was only a couple bucks more and would make the loco run a lot better.
The package arrived about a week later with the set of 4 wheelsets plus gears, just like the photo. So, I of course run down into the basement to try and put the loco back together. I read the first step of the instructions, which was "remove the wheels and gear from the axle". It is hard to tell from the photo, but the wheel on the right is electrically insulated from the axle. The original Bachmann wheelsets only stuffed into the (crappy) plastic gear and didn't make contact with each other. So, I take one wheel off, no problem, the gear slid off too, not easily, but it still came off. The other wheel was not so kind, so of course I forced the issue and ended up ruining the wheel and axle trying to take it apart. As it turns out, I only needed to take off the insulated wheel. The other side, being pressed in, was to stay intact. Bottom line, I was in a hurry trying to repair the loco and royally screwed up one of the 4 wheelsets. At the time I didn't think it was a big deal, I only needed 2 of the 4 I was sent. Well, I finally slide everything into the correct place, somehow not totally boogering up the plastic (not brass like the other set I was sent) gear, and run the loco. Runs the same as before, hesitates. So, I take the trucks apart yet again to find out the other two axle gears are cracked as well! Arg, should have known/looked while I had it taken apart the first time.

All 4 of the gears were shot on this loco, and it was essentially brand new.

So, I can only fix one of the two gears because I ruined one set trying to follow directions and take it apart to begin the intial repair...
Another call to NWSL. I spoke with Dave again and told him I was following the directions and asked why the wheels/axle/gear weren't just packaged pulled apart instead of together, as that was the big hurdle for me(never really answered this question). I described the process needed to install the replacement gears. He was under the impression there was a clip on the bottom of the truck (like athearn) that once it was removed the gears/wheelsets would fall out. Bachmann has closed trucks, at least on this model, so weaving the axle through without marring the gear was a small miracle, but I got it done.
Anyway, to finish up this novel. I received a package last week from NWSL that included 4 new sets of wheels and gears, no charge, how sweet is that?!
I put the loco back together and it runs pretty good, its definately not a proto or an atlas, but it is serviceable.
I learned 3 lessons from this "experience".
1-Don't rush, read the directions fully, or at least think the process through. I felt like an idiot thinking I needed to take off both wheels, duh...
2-This may be painting with a broad brush and a bit harsh, but don't buy a Bachmann. All 4 gears were broke on this model and it didn't look slightly used. Even after fixing the problem the loco still runs ok, not great, maybe a click above the athearn BB. It is no Proto or Atlas, although the MSRP on this loco was ~$75 (didn't pay close to that...). The only reason I purchased the loco was because only Bachmann makes the 44 tonner in HO(I think). As always, you get what you pay for.
3-Support NWSL. It was not their fault I busted one of the wheelsets and yet they sent me a complete set of 4 wheelsets/gears to help me fix the loco. Great customer service, although Dave is their only tech and sometimes hard to get ahold of, he is very knowledgable. Call, don't bother email, they'll set you up. Very happy about how generous they were in handling my error.
Now that I have it running, time to strip the paint and give it the Milwaukee road orange and black!
Jason