ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I bought an engine off of eBay. It was supposed to be working, but the motor wouldn't turn (the lights work, though). I took it apart to see if I could figure it out. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at, but it appears that power isn't getting to the brushes. If I apply direct power to the two brushes, the motor spins just fine. Is there supposed to be a clip or a wire or something connecting the brushes to each side of the chassis? Does anyone have a picture or a reference manual?
I'd take my Bachmann apart and post a picture, but I'd probably break it. You could do a web search of Bachmann loco chassis and see if any of those help.
Try this link and choose the loco from the drop down menu in the center...
http://www.hoseeker.net/bachmann.html
I should have contact strips to contact the frame halves. Usually, I cut them of when installing a decoder, but on this pic they would occupy the same space as the shrink tubing does here. One wraps around to the side in 1 direction, the other a mirror image in the other direction.
Hope this helps, but I have no pics of a "nekkid" motor!

Thanks guys. That's exactly what it is/was. The two contact bars on the chip were loose and not making contact with the brushes. I bent them in and got it to run. Now I gotta figure out why it keeps jumping the tracks (seems like the flange isn't deep enough). I'll mess with that tomorrow.
Thanks guys. That's exactly what it is/was. The two contact bars on the chip were loose and not making contact with the brushes. I bent them in and got it to run. Now I gotta figure out why it keeps jumping the tracks (seems like the flange isn't deep enough). I'll mess with that tomorrow.
If it's jumping the tracks the wheels are probably out of adjustment. I would try the NMRA gage on the width of the wheels on the axels. If they are to wide or 2 close together it will derail, especially on curves or at a Turnout.
Thanks Larry. That is exactly when it has been jumping. I will see if I can find a gauge tomorrow and fix it.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)