Hello, I'm a newbe here but have been model railroading since I was about 13 years old (starting with an American Flyer S Gauge set). I'm 62 now and have had my 2nd HO model RR layout for the last 17 years.
Even though this model railroad forum site is not the biggest, to me it's one of the friendliest and most helpful. I really liked the tutorial on yards. Thank you all for your many comments.
I run 3 trains of about 55 cars each plus a couple of small trains, have no grades (on purpose), and it's all DC. (As far as I'm concerned progress peaked with the invention of Little Debbie Chocolate Donuts, so no DCC for me.
)
This year I sold all of my old Athearn engines - all diesels, mostly GP35s (they easily pull some small trains around my 12" radius curves; my normal curves are 22", 19" and 16" radius.)
Anyway I purchased some Atlas Trainman and Bachmann Spectrum diesels. Except for the Bmann SD40-2s all the engines seem to average 2 out of 3 "good" ones - i.e. they run quiet (or quiet enough) and smooth. The "bad" ones do run but they're noisy, and/or a little tight and don't run smoothly MUd, and/or draw too much power (one Atlas.) Since I'm better at trouble-shooting and fixing railcars I've set these "bad" engines aside.
To the Bmann SD40-2s - I got about 10 because I like SD40-2s (I used to ride in the real ones a lot when I was head-end braking on the MoPac in the MO Ozarks in the late 1970s), they were reasonably priced (Modeltrainstuff), and I figured (from what I'd read on the net) possibly 1 out 4 would be fine as-is and I could MAYBE fix the others.
After receiving the first few I found they looked very nice, overall were engineered well (the exception is below) and visually ran smooth as silk with no derailments on all my 22" and 19" radius track (Atlas Code 100 flex track, and all track switches are old Model Power electric #4s - which worked great after I spent 10 minutes on each one tweaking them 15 years ago.) Now to the problem.
Three of the ten engines were pre-DCC board and the flat part of the gear teeth in the trucks were extremely rough (I ran the point of a hobby knife over some.) So they were extremely noisy (wheel chatter on the rails) - I'll say 90% unpleasant. Bachmann's service dept. (which is pretty good for such a large company) at my request sent me 6 new trucks. These cut the noise from 90% to 20% - not bad. However 20% noisy is still unacceptable to me.
Of the other 7 engines (all with DCC boards) 2 were about 5% noisy and I've been using them regularly. The other 5 of these 7 are all about 20% noisy out of the box. And yes I've run the point of a hobby knife over the flat part of some these gear teeth and they feel smooth.
Over the past few weeks I've taken 2 of the 8 20%-noisy engines and over time as I thought about it did about 6 different "fixes" between them. None of my "brilliant" ideas have worked (including shimming the worm gear shaft and interior shaft bushing so neither can jump around), and in one of the fixes I screwed up something enough that I just neutered the whole thing and turned it into a gelding (dummy engine.)
I've noticed that (a) the worst wheel chatter comes from the lead truck (no matter if the engine is cab-forward or not), (b) both trucks chatter on their leading end, and (c) most all the chatter comes on straight track (they usually really quieten down on curves.) I did some extensive testing of pushing the leading edge of a truck down with weights or shims because the pivot point of the trucks are not centered on the truck but off-set toward the center of the engine. Didn't matter or I didn't do my test well enough.
Did I try asking Bachmann about this? I asked one service person who was nice but clueless and he said talk to Lee Riley (VP Production I think.) So I've dropped this approach.
I've wondered if it's the angles OR spacing of the slightly-beveled (slanted) gear teeth in the trucks - if this could maybe cause the chatter. I just looked at a set by popping the bottom truck cover off. The gears' teeth interfaces form alternating up-side-down and right-side-up "V"s all the way down the gear chain. I guess that's the way they're supposed to be. Any of you know anything about gears and their teeth interface?
Once when an engine was on the track and running I stopped its forward motion and put my finger under the lead wheels - the wheels vibrated noticeably.
Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or have you done any testing on these? Have you heard or read of any fixes or know where I could look? Or do I need an aftermarket set of gears (that don't exist as far as I know)? Do any of you have 3 or more of these engines and they all run basically about 100% quiet out of the box (implying I got a bunch of unusual ones)? Or are these SD40-2s generally just not worth your (our) time?
As info I've not done the Pearl Drops Toothpaste-on-the-gears routine. From all I've read this "usually" helps gear growl but almost never fixes it.
I could have asked Bmann for newer trucks but I figured that the 6 new ones I did receive (chatter 20%) would be same kind I would get if I asked for more.
Thank you for your patience in reading through all of this and any info.
DougC
Even though this model railroad forum site is not the biggest, to me it's one of the friendliest and most helpful. I really liked the tutorial on yards. Thank you all for your many comments.
I run 3 trains of about 55 cars each plus a couple of small trains, have no grades (on purpose), and it's all DC. (As far as I'm concerned progress peaked with the invention of Little Debbie Chocolate Donuts, so no DCC for me.
This year I sold all of my old Athearn engines - all diesels, mostly GP35s (they easily pull some small trains around my 12" radius curves; my normal curves are 22", 19" and 16" radius.)
Anyway I purchased some Atlas Trainman and Bachmann Spectrum diesels. Except for the Bmann SD40-2s all the engines seem to average 2 out of 3 "good" ones - i.e. they run quiet (or quiet enough) and smooth. The "bad" ones do run but they're noisy, and/or a little tight and don't run smoothly MUd, and/or draw too much power (one Atlas.) Since I'm better at trouble-shooting and fixing railcars I've set these "bad" engines aside.
To the Bmann SD40-2s - I got about 10 because I like SD40-2s (I used to ride in the real ones a lot when I was head-end braking on the MoPac in the MO Ozarks in the late 1970s), they were reasonably priced (Modeltrainstuff), and I figured (from what I'd read on the net) possibly 1 out 4 would be fine as-is and I could MAYBE fix the others.
After receiving the first few I found they looked very nice, overall were engineered well (the exception is below) and visually ran smooth as silk with no derailments on all my 22" and 19" radius track (Atlas Code 100 flex track, and all track switches are old Model Power electric #4s - which worked great after I spent 10 minutes on each one tweaking them 15 years ago.) Now to the problem.
Three of the ten engines were pre-DCC board and the flat part of the gear teeth in the trucks were extremely rough (I ran the point of a hobby knife over some.) So they were extremely noisy (wheel chatter on the rails) - I'll say 90% unpleasant. Bachmann's service dept. (which is pretty good for such a large company) at my request sent me 6 new trucks. These cut the noise from 90% to 20% - not bad. However 20% noisy is still unacceptable to me.
Of the other 7 engines (all with DCC boards) 2 were about 5% noisy and I've been using them regularly. The other 5 of these 7 are all about 20% noisy out of the box. And yes I've run the point of a hobby knife over the flat part of some these gear teeth and they feel smooth.
Over the past few weeks I've taken 2 of the 8 20%-noisy engines and over time as I thought about it did about 6 different "fixes" between them. None of my "brilliant" ideas have worked (including shimming the worm gear shaft and interior shaft bushing so neither can jump around), and in one of the fixes I screwed up something enough that I just neutered the whole thing and turned it into a gelding (dummy engine.)
I've noticed that (a) the worst wheel chatter comes from the lead truck (no matter if the engine is cab-forward or not), (b) both trucks chatter on their leading end, and (c) most all the chatter comes on straight track (they usually really quieten down on curves.) I did some extensive testing of pushing the leading edge of a truck down with weights or shims because the pivot point of the trucks are not centered on the truck but off-set toward the center of the engine. Didn't matter or I didn't do my test well enough.
Did I try asking Bachmann about this? I asked one service person who was nice but clueless and he said talk to Lee Riley (VP Production I think.) So I've dropped this approach.
I've wondered if it's the angles OR spacing of the slightly-beveled (slanted) gear teeth in the trucks - if this could maybe cause the chatter. I just looked at a set by popping the bottom truck cover off. The gears' teeth interfaces form alternating up-side-down and right-side-up "V"s all the way down the gear chain. I guess that's the way they're supposed to be. Any of you know anything about gears and their teeth interface?
Once when an engine was on the track and running I stopped its forward motion and put my finger under the lead wheels - the wheels vibrated noticeably.
Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or have you done any testing on these? Have you heard or read of any fixes or know where I could look? Or do I need an aftermarket set of gears (that don't exist as far as I know)? Do any of you have 3 or more of these engines and they all run basically about 100% quiet out of the box (implying I got a bunch of unusual ones)? Or are these SD40-2s generally just not worth your (our) time?
As info I've not done the Pearl Drops Toothpaste-on-the-gears routine. From all I've read this "usually" helps gear growl but almost never fixes it.
I could have asked Bmann for newer trucks but I figured that the 6 new ones I did receive (chatter 20%) would be same kind I would get if I asked for more.
Thank you for your patience in reading through all of this and any info.
DougC
