Bachmann pennsy SD-45

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


vio919

New Member
My new layout is most likely going to be a Pennsy line, so I was browsing through ebay for locos and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-SPECTRUM-HO-11630-PENNSY-SD-45-SALE-50-OFF_W0QQitemZ280195438412QQihZ018QQcategoryZ19132QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

seems like a good deal... I looked on the Bachmann site and found 2 like this, one for $115 and one for $90 - but I can't tell the difference between the two.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?query=sd-45&submit=Search&sortOrder=id

Is this ebay train the same item as on the Bachmann site? And what is the difference between the 2 locos on the bachmann site? Is there something I'm missing? I'm confused... help would be appreciated!

And ofcourse I trust you won't snatch this for yourself if it is a bargain ;)
 
First, the difference between the $90 units and the $115 units is impossible to tell since the Bachmann site has no details. I suspect the difference is that the more exensive units have DCC (as stated in their description) and the $90 units do not.

Again, without knowing, since the seller doesn't state, the SD-45 listed is from an ealier runn that did not have DCC installed. Bachmann made several runs of SD-45's so I suggest you right the seller and ask him exactly what's included.
 
ok thanks for the quick response - what exactly should I ask him? Ill ask if it's DCC (doubt it), what the item# is, what year it was made, anything else?


*I just noticed what the difference is between those locos on the Bachmann site - one is N scale.... D'OH!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed the same thing. :) Strange that they have no description for the N scale units so I can't tell if they have DCC or not. I suspect not but I can't tell.

Ask the seller if the model is DCC equiped (not just DCC ready). It should say DCC Equipped on the bottom of the fuel tank. If it's not DCC equipped, ask him if the model box or literature lists it as having a DCC NMRA compliant plug already on board. If it mentions nothing about DCC, that lowers the value of the model considerably. The DC equipped models are reaily available at internet hobby shops for about $80, the older DCC ready models for about $45-$55, and the first run models usually go for about $25. You add DCC to the first run models but involves some soldering.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top