Bachmann, NCE, Digitrax

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


LOL:D
Trent I have to agree with you about manuals and particularly Digitrax...they are a mess in organization. They mix beginner info with advanced with too many options mixed in with the general setup. Danged confusing and I have been reading tech manuals for 45 years.
 
I think thats my fault with the system. Im a beginner with digitrax and an expert with MRC. I know one of these days I will learn more about the system and I want to learn to get over my aggravations. I really want to learn about the signal systems that Digitrax can offer with the use of a PC. so I better learn its basics if i want to under stand that tricky stuff!!!
 
Each of the systems mentioned have different advantages and limitations, but you would probably be happy with any one of them as long as you understood it's limitations and accepted them.

The Dynamis is low cost to begin with with a street price of around $150; however, you can only use one throttle with the base unit. To be able to use any additional throttles, you have to get the Dynmais Pro upgrade, with a street price of $250-$300. After the Dynamis Pro upgrade, you are still limited to 4 throttles, which hardly seems like a "Pro" system to me.

The MRC systems are nice, but I do not like the fact that you can not use JMRI with it. They have a computer interface and proprietary software, but I plan to do integrated signaling and possibly even some automated running, which is possible with JMRI but not with MRC's software. as has been mentioned, the Express lacks decoder readback, and it also has a bug in the consisting function where it will not automatically setup an advanced consist with engines facing different ways, although you can still set them up by directly programming CV19. The Express also will not control accessory decoders. The Advanced 2 does cost quite a bit more than the Zephyr or Power Cab, but you do get true walkaround ability. With the Zephyr you would have to get an additional throttle and with the Power Cab you would have to get an additional throttle or a Smart Booster for true walkaround ability. By true walkaround, I mean that, with additional plug ins, you can unplug the throttle and walk to another location and plug in while your trains keep running. The Power Cab in it's original setup is a walkaround throttle, but if you unplug it the layout shuts down. If you compare the Advanced 2 to the Zephyr or Power Cab with true walkaround capability, they are in the same price range.

Some people do seem to think Digitrax is hard to understand, but honestly, I just don't see it. Some of their older throttles(which haven't been available for several years now) were not very intuitive because they tried to do too many things with too few buttons, which resulted in some odd button combinations to get things done, but I think that most people that have used a Zephyr and/or DT400 or DT402 throttle find them quite easy. Unless you just happen to like the "power pack" design of the stationary Zephyr throttle, you would definitely want to get a walkaround throttle for it. Personally, I really like the dual throttle configuration of Digitrax's DT throttles.

The Power Cab is the least expensive, full function, walkaround throttle, DCC system there is(as far as I know). What I don't like about the Power Cab is out of the box you can only add one additional throttle. For a small one or two operator layout, I feel the Power Cab is just about ideal, but it is pretty easy to outgrow. You can upgrade it with a Smart Booster, but that only expands it to four throttles. If you then outgrow the Smart Booster, your only option is the full blown Power House Pro, and if you have to upgrade to it, the Smart Booster becomes useless.

Something to consider concerning the two or four throttle limit for the Power Cab, especially if you might ever want to do PC based dispatching or control panels tied into the DCC system, is the PC interface and the input modules take throttle addresses, so they cut into the number of throttles you can have. Digitrax does not use throttle addresses so these items do not cut into the number of throttles you can have.
 


After deciding to play a little holiday-hookie from work and go talk to the 2 local stores, I found some surprising info...

The one that was trains-only, and has a bad habit of talking down to non-experts - the guy even said to me at least 3 times when I was asking questions like those asked below on this forum, "I'm not getting through to you". which I can tell you pissed me off. They even have internet-cheap pricing, but I don't see why I'd give them my money.....

The other one which is a big hobby store, but very good with trains, has good info, but isn't cost competitive (not even close... unfortunately, even though I buy some stuff there because they help me and explain)

Neither one has setups that allow you to put hands-on. They each, naturally, favor one or two brands and can't discuss the others... not too surprising, but not too helpful either.

I still need to call the manufacturers, because they raised some good points - possibly errors or lack of knowledge, but things to check.

One said they didn't think MRC handled track turnouts - only engines/locomotives (not sure which term everyone here uses for this... ;-))

Neither could say they've tried their DCC controllers with Bachmann DCC engines to ensure they worked and raised questions about whether one brand of DCC control unit would work with a Bachmann DCC decoder in the engines I have - I have trouble believing this since they're all supposed to adhere to the NMRA standard which should guarantee interoperability....

Looks like a few more calls to the manufacturers, but a disappointing showing considering this is Silicon Valley, where technology is central to our economy, and so few stores. But, that's the way it is.....
 
i got a factory DCC equipped bachmann spectrum SD45 and it worked right out of the box with MRC express system. and i imagine it will work with any other. so you good on that, just remember that bach factory decoder is pretty basic.

but the fact MRC can't interface with JMRI is ruining it for me. well not yet, but i do want to be able to do that at some point. i'm contemplating selling the express and getting power-cab instead.
 
Does your MRC Express also control any DCC turnout's and track "stuff"? That seemed to be the implication of one of the guys I spoke to...

Also, what is (in short terms and small words...) JMRI and what does it mean? And if MRC doesn't handle it, I wonder if NCE, Digitrax or the others handle it?
 
i see no reason why it won't. i don't think it should care if the decoder is mobile or stationary. EDIT: aha, so there are hardwired limitations to make the advanced cab needed for stationary ones . very strange.

there is special turnout/route control cab by MRC. i have no experience with it however so can't confirm it is 100% compatible with new system. but to my understanding it should.

900491.jpg


the thing is MRC express system has only one jack so a 30$ adapter is nessery to plug more.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
...One said they didn't think MRC handled track turnouts - only engines/locomotives (not sure which term everyone here uses for this... ;-))...

The Prodigy Express will not, but the Advanced, and Wireless will. This is what I was referring to in my previous post when I mentioned the Express will not control accessory decoders(You can actually control Bachmann EZ DCC turnouts with the Express because they can be programed to operate from an engine address, that's how they operate with the EZ Command, but that is a kludge and the standard for turnouts is to operate as accessory decoders).

...Neither could say they've tried their DCC controllers with Bachmann DCC engines to ensure they worked and raised questions about whether one brand of DCC control unit would work with a Bachmann DCC decoder in the engines I have...

There are occasionally issues programming certain decoders on certain systems, but they can always be overcome, and if you have any issues you can probably get them resolved by posting on here.
 
i see no reason why it won't. i don't think it should care if the decoder is mobile or stationary. there is even special turnout/route control cab by MRC. i have no experience with it however so can't confirm it is 100% compatible with new system. but to my understanding it should.

900491.jpg

The MRC Dispatch controller is not compatible with the new systems. Components form the original "Prodigy" are not compatible with the "Prodigy Express," "Prodigy Advanced," "Prodigy Advance 2", or "Prodigy Wireless"; although products from all of the newer ones are compatible with each other. The Original Prodigy with the dispatch controller will not control accessory decoders, MRC made a "Dispatch Decoder" for controlling turnouts that uses mobile decoder addresses, similar to how the Bachmann EZ DCC turnouts work. As far as I know, the Bachmann turnouts and the dispatch decoder are the only accessory decoders that can be controlled with mobile decoder addresses.
 
Mike, some stores are better than others, that's for sure. The MRC, just like all DCC controllers, will handle DCC accessories, like switch motors equipped with a stationary decoder. It just has another address, like a locomotive, and you set up a button press with the funtion keys to throw the switch. However, the basic Express will not handle stationary decoders, you need to step up to the Advanced or Wireless versions. The other issue is that stationary decoders take power away from your engines, so you will eventually need a bigger power supply if you get lots of stationary decoders. This kind of thing is rarely an issue with a beginner's layout.

Bachmann decoders, as you say, comply with NMRA standards and will work with any DCC decoder. There is nothing special about them. They are low end decoders in that they only handle a limited amount of lighting functions but they have the same speed tables as more expensive decoders and will do most of the same things. Bachmann tends to get trashed a lot as being toy train stuff but their decoders, as long as you understand the lighting limitations, can be very good deals. There are probably tens of thousands of Bachmann DCC engines running today with every type of DCC controller known to man.

JMRI is shorthand for Java Model Railroad Interface. It's an open source project that has a number of components that make it much easier to deal with decoder settings and running your trains, including Decoder Pro and Panel Pro. You can find out more at http://jmri.sourceforge.net/. One of the big issues for me is that MRC controllers are proprietary and you can only use their software with them. The JMRI software is both high quality and free. Both NCE and Digitrax are able to use JMRI software, although it's a little easier to interface your computer with a Digitrax system, since the hardware is already built-in to the controller. Much of the development work for JMRI was done using Digitrax controllers so Digitrax has a slight edge there. The ability to use JMRI software is no small matter and knocks MRC out of the running for me.

I lived in the Bay Area for 30 years and am pretty familiar with most of the model trains stores. If you haven't gone there yet, Ace Hardware in Berkeley is a really good store, with a great selection and helpful folks. You might try that first store again and see if you can talk to another employee. Sometimes even great stores have a few jerks that work for them. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Wow - for a newbie, this getting to be quite an interesting discussion.... I'm learning tons from everyone's responses.....

It sounds like Bachmann's DCC turnout's operate a little off the standard (the kludge mentioned where they use an engine address),which is why the MRC Prodigy new series will work with them where normally, it wouldn't if they were stationary decoder devices... I may have gotten the wrong language in here somewhere. As it happens, we'll have lots of Bachmann DCC turnouts in our small layout so this makes MRC a possibility for us where it otherwise might not be...

My understanding is that the Bachmann DCC turnouts only use a tiny bit of power, so that may make our layout possible with only 2 or 3 (at most for now) engines running.

Also good to know that we should look at other than Bachmann engines for future as they'll have more features. Not surprised about this and will have to make better decisions in future....

Is there better track than Bachmann to use? They seem to have lots of choices and the roadbed built-in (we're a way from doing a permanent setup where we'd do the necessary "set decoration" for a while....)?

The store locally has given me the same feeling with most of their folks, although the guy I spoke to today was especially bad and spoke with him once before and had a bad exchange - there just weren't others available today. I originally had bought a Lionel setup from this store, the behind the engine tender (from which sound etc comes from), broke the second day we were using it. I expected the store to do an exchange for me, rather than me having to send it to the factory - I could have just returned the whole thing based ont he credit card I'd bought it on - but had to have a fight with the owner having to get called on the phone from the store to make this right, so I figured they did make it right, I'd try to buy from them, but they keep making it very hard....

Thanks for the info on JMRI - as a computer guy (admittedly just a software sales rep), I like the idea of being able to program the unit from my PC, so this might be a good selling point I should have thought of earlier and now will check which units will handle that....

Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
...It sounds like Bachmann's DCC turnout's operate a little off the standard (the kludge mentioned where they use an engine address),which is why the MRC Prodigy new series will work with them where normally, it wouldn't if they were stationary decoder devices...

This is a lot of information to digest, so I understand you not quite getting some of it. The new Prodigy series EXCEPT for the express WILL control accessory decoders(you may also see these called stationary decoders), so you would not be limited to the Bachmann turnouts.
 
I just also looked and saw that JMRI can be used via Digitrax' Zephyr Starter set, but needs an NCE additional device to make it work, i.e. not with the PowerCab by itself, so in terms of a starter system, the Digitrax can work easier here, but I also remember that the NCE system is upgradeable, with no value/cost loss. Not sure if this is also true with Digitrax, i.e. upgrade without losing the already spent money...

And not at all sure about MRI - the web page mentions Chubb, and I haven't heard anything about this yet....
 
My two cents...

After reading some of these posts, I decided to join this forum and add my two pennys. After over 20 years in the hobby, I took a twelve year hiatus When I decided to get back into it, I wanted to go with DCC, and explored the various manufacturers, like MikeL is. For me, the fact that I wanted to start small and then expand led me to the NCE Power Cab system. It allowed me to get my feet wet, learn to program turnouts (switches), decoders in engines, and hook up my 2 foot by 4 foot module to my home computer using JMRI. Then I bought a 30 foot by 55 foot basement with a house on top of it and expanded!!!! I purchased the Power Pro Radio system, and now my Power Cab is one of my throttles. I find the controls intuitive and easier to understand than Digitrax. I have never had to call the factory, but one friend of mine did and got a simple explanation to his question. My advice to you is to find a group of guys that "play trains", and get your hands on a system you like, because this is like the Ford/Chevy/Chrysler debate! Everyone has their opinion!
 
Robert - thanks for making this clear. In my case, looks like I "got lucky" by using Bachmann DCC turnouts so I can kinda "cheat" the system.... I'm not sure if there's a downside to the way they do this, but to me, it seems like a bonus....

BSBH - thanks for the link on NCE - that looks easy and isn't too expensive. But you're right about the "brand" debate. Someone earlier in this thread made that same point about localized experience and what people around you know.

I especially liked how you pointed out the idea of buying a basement for your trains, that happened to have a house atop. I unfortunately have the same problem with our salt water fish tank, and the idea of buying a home to put around the one we'd like.... I'd have the same problem with my old color darkroom for photography, but that, fortunately, went digital, saving me a lot of money and space. At this rate, we'll be forced to use our 4-year-old son as our only excuse to play with trains and fish, because we won't be able to afford another child as a future excuse. And am just hoping that we don't get into any other hobbies like astronomy.... between room and pocketbook, we're going to run out of options...
 
Yet another consideration - I noticed today that the Digitrax Zephyr Starter Set has a 2.5 amp power supply. The NCE PowerCab (their starter, of course) has 2 amps of power.

Does the difference in power directly relate to the load they can "push"/handle around the track, or is it reasonable to assume that different companies designs' will require different amounts of power for the same operations load? i.e. the .5 amp difference has more to do with how they designed their circuitry than it does with what it can do directly compared to another manufacturer's unit?

(I'm betting the latter, since different designs likely require different basic power levels to do the same thing - within reason.... if it was a 1-3 amp difference, it would probably imply a heavier usage load... but I've been wrong before....)
 
I just also looked and saw that JMRI can be used via Digitrax' Zephyr Starter set, but needs an NCE additional device to make it work, i.e. not with the PowerCab by itself, so in terms of a starter system, the Digitrax can work easier here...

The Zephyr does need an additional piece of hardware(PR3 or Locobuffer) to interface with the computer for JMRI as well.

...I also remember that the NCE system is upgradeable, with no value/cost loss. Not sure if this is also true with Digitrax, i.e. upgrade without losing the already spent money...

You absolutely can upgrade from the Zephyr without losing what you have already spent. It can be used as a booster and throttle with either a DB150 or DCS100. You can use the Power Cab as a Pro Cab with a Smart Booster or a Power House Pro, but one thing I do not like about it is if you upgrade to the Smart Booster, and then to the Power House Pro, the Smart Booster can not be used with the Power House Pro, not even as just a booster.

Concerning upgrading, if you expand your layout, you are more likely to need to upgrade the Power Cab than you are the Zephyr

Yet another consideration - I noticed today that the Digitrax Zephyr Starter Set has a 2.5 amp power supply. The NCE PowerCab (their starter, of course) has 2 amps of power.

Does the difference in power directly relate to the load they can "push"/handle around the track...

Yes, the Zephyr can supply more power to the track than the Power Cab.

When I decided to upgrade my DCC system(I started with an MRC Command 2000) I narrowed it down to the Zephyr and Power Cab. I really liked the Power Cab, especially the fact that it is a walk around throttle. I knew from the beginning that if I went with the Zephyr I would want to get a walk around throttle for it first thing, but a couple of things made me decide on the Zephyr. 1) With sons, nieces, and a nephew, I eventually plan to be able to run 5 or 6 trains at a time. With the Power Cab's 2 throttle limit and Smart Booster's 4 throttle limit, the only way I could do that with the Power Cab is to upgrade to the Power House Pro, but the Zephyr will handle my layout fine, for a lot less money. 2) I also intend to have integrated signaling and dispatching, which Digitrax's Loconet really lends itself to.
 
No Mike, it means that they are rated to supply a max 2 amps or 2.5 amps to the layout. The question is how many locomotives will you have running/pulling at the same time. You can rough figure Locomotives with can type motors (most all over the last several years) will need up to 0.5 to 0.75 amps depending on load and grade. Old open frame motors will be more and some sound decoders use a bit more. Locos just parked will use some, as well as accessories connected to track power.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Robert - thanks for making this clear. In my case, looks like I "got lucky" by using Bachmann DCC turnouts so I can kinda "cheat" the system.... I'm not sure if there's a downside to the way they do this, but to me, it seems like a bonus....

Yes, there is a downside, but luckily, the Bachmann turnouts can be programmed to a mobile decoder address OR an accessory decoder address. The downside to using a mobile decoder address is as follows. If you are running a train and come up to a turnout that you want to throw, you have to select the turnout address as you would another train, throw the turnout, and then reselect your train. Using an accessory decoder address you press a button on your throttle(probably labeled "Switch" or "Accessory") and enter the switch address, then when you exit the "Switch" mode, you do not have to reselect your engine. Also, some systems let you add input devices that let you control DCC turnouts from control panels(Digitrax and NCE let you do this, but currently not MRC), and these are designed to work with accessory decoder addresses.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top