ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I was wondering what the differencies are between the "Rail Fan" and non "Rail Fan" versions? I've compared the pics I can find on them, and I can't tell what the differencies are. I want one for L&N, and I haven't been able to find one. So, it looks like I will need to "make" one.
Is there a good way to "remove" the road names that are printed on locos, or do you guys just paint over them?
I'm not aware of these two different models. Can you provide any links? You can usually take off pad printed lettering with 91% isopropyl alcohol or some Pine-Sol.
Rail fan version was from the 1990's when the 765 was painted and used for "day trip" and "rail fan" excursions. The other version is a paint scheme and configuration when the Berky was in service. Not really much difference. The lettering may be a tad different.
I worked some with the restoration of the 765 by the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, mostly as the "go-fer". The engine, and its sister engine, the Pere Marquette 1222, will make appearances and provide day trips in Oswego, Michigan this year. We are planning on attending. It has been a dream of the better half to ride an excursion on the NKP 765 for a long time. She was to take a trip years ago but NS would not grant trackage to the historical society. Bad deal.
I've actually been aboard this engine. I sat in the engineer's, brakeman's and fireman's seats, and even climbed into the fire box.
The fire box was fed automatically. No way a man could keep up with the amount of coal this beast could consume.
If you are interested in the REAL engine and its restoration, here is a link: http://www.765.org/
When the "700s" were in service, the smokebox and firebox sides were not painted graphite gray. Also, when in service the #765 had a Mars Light. FWRHS took it off.
Bob The Pere Marquette Berk is the 1225 and it is at Owosso,Mi unless they intend to move it and the 765 will be there along with the 4449 in July for the trainfest.
Here is a link http://www.trainfestival2009.com/
Bob The Pere Marquette Berk is the 1225 and it is at Owosso,Mi unless they intend to move it and the 765 will be there along with the 4449 in July for the trainfest.
Here is a link http://www.trainfestival2009.com/
Even the Bachmann site doesn't explain what the "railfan' version is so I'm assuming that what Bob wrote is correct. They didn't have anything but black paint while in service and they did have a Mars light although I'm not sure any version of the Bachmann Berkshire has one of those. I guess it's if you want the "modern" version or in-service version of the paint scheme.
OK, my scanner and computer aren't talking. Something is amiss in their relationship I'd reckon. Sign of the times.
In looking at the pics, it looks as though the area just forward of the cab(the firebox) is a dark graphite, while the rest of the engine is black. Not so on the original or the current refurb. This discoloration could be from the heat generated by the burning coal, but, I'd rather think tha to prevent discoloration the early restoration, for the railfan version, used a graphite colored paint to "hide" such changes in color.
Thanks for the pics bjdukert! Sure is a fine looking loco. What is the red "diamond" on the smokebox? I think all I've seen have that, but I haven't noticed it on the L&N. A good example of the L&N one is linked below. I'm sure I'll have to make the decals, but it should be just lines and a fairly standard font. The only real difference I see is the L&N one has either painted white or bare metal "tires". I think I have some better pics in some L&N Historical Society mags; I'll have to look them up. They also had a few water tenders with "Silver Bullet" and the stripes to match the tender on them. I will want to make one of those also from a N&W tender. The only pics I've seen of that have been in the HS magazines.
Yep, they sure are nice. Out of my price range at this point in time though....
Little background on me.... My great grandfather worked for Tennessee Central, and my grandfather worked for L&N. My grandfather helped be build my 2nd layout after riding the Autum Leaf Special. He came up with P&W Railroad for our "name"...stands for "Pofolk & Western"..haha He passed away in '89, and I wanted to keep the "name". I don't model one "time period". If it is L&N, TC, or N&W, I'll try to get it within reason, The L&N Berks were nicknamed "Big Emma" (M-1 class). He talked about those a lot. He really liked those and the Mikado's.
Those are the manufacture's "tags". All engines usually had them. Kind of a "badge" like you see on today's automobiles. The "badges" identified the engeing and manufacturer, year built, location of manufacture, ect.
I'll get the pics posted as soon as the scanner and computer end their feud. It's crazy. lol
Thanks for the pics and info! That's what I thought it was, but I wanted to make sure since I didn't see it on the L&N in the pic I linked. That one must have been a Baldwin, or at least it didn't show up in the black and white as well.