Bachamnn TGV truck gears replacement?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


sealion

New Member
Hi,

A friend has a bachmann TGV set an the locomotive has cracked gears, I see the bachmann site doesn't offer those parts, is there anybody aware of any other gears (likely of some other bachmann product) that I can use to fix that one?

Thanks

Regards
 
Just wondering, did you actually contact bachmann customer service? They will most likely have exactly what you need. I have gotten many parts from them that I requested for I believe free. You can e-mail their customer service staff from the website. If you did that I apologize for wasting your time because I have no other suggestions as to what you can use. :o Good luck with finding those parts though!
 
Hi psychobeagle,

I took your advice and contacted them, unfortunately they no longer carry any parts for that loco as the model itself is out of production.

Thanks a lot anyway, was a good idea.

Regards
 


Maybe check ebay for a donor locomotive then... stuff can usually be found there and possibly you could find one somewhere like that if not ebay. That sucks cuz every loco that I have ever asked for parts for they send them right out.. :(
 
Thanks for the answers, seems the ones I find at ebay are being sold as "non working" due to the same problem with the gears :(

The Acela looks similar (even if I couldn´t compare they closely) but Bachmann is out of stock for those too :(

Seems that loco will end up as a dummy...

Thanks anyways and Merry Christmas!
 
I wouldn't give up just yet! Just because that exact part isn't made doesn't mean you're out of luck. I recently swapped a motor in an Atlas SD24 to a newer one but needed driveshafts with a different head (hex) to complete the conversion. Atlas said no such part existed, but I went ahead an ordered a bunch from varying locomotives of similar dimensions anyway. As it turns out there were one part that was perfect for my needs, and a bunch of others could have been modified to work in mere seconds. :) I'm not suggesting that you order every truck you can find, I only did this because the parts were < $1ea and there weren't any pictures in the parts catalogue. If their were I could have picked out exactly what I needed with ease.

My point is that a lot of stuff is shared between mechanisms and I'd be very surprised if there isn't a compatible truck out there somewhere, or at least one that you can salvage just the part you need from. Sometimes the fact that our models are made of many very small & easily lost parts actually comes in handy! :D

Exactly which gears are cracked? Depending on where it/they are you could potentially remove some and still have half the axles powered.
 
Maybe Northwest Shortline sells gears and/or a re-gearing kit that you could install in the train? Several Google results seem to show that sell replacement gears for the N and Z scale versions of the TGV, though I don't know about the HO scale version. Perhaps you could call or email them and ask them directly. I imagine they've been contacted with this same problem with the same train before.

It might be worth a shot: http://www.nwsl.com/
 
Thanks a lot guys!

I will try looking for some similar part that can make this set a runner again.

Appreciate all the comments.

Regards,

JL
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top