Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


videobruce

Tower Operator
Atlas vs Microtrains vs Athearn couplers: is Atlas as good?

I understand the Atlas version of the NMRA coupler is not as good or dependable as the Microtrain version. Is this true?
I'm especially interested due to the use of a hump yard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I find Atlas' "accumate" couplers to be fair, but no, they aren't on par with MicroTrains' offerings. I'm perfectly happy with keeping them on my rolling stock, it's just the McHenry couplers that give me grief.
 
I have come across a number of others that say these "accumate" are terrible. Pins falling out, hard to couple, uncouple on the fly by themselves.
I just picked up a bunch (used) and I'm sorry I got them. I assumed the coupler was similar to MT. :(

I did notice, the Atlas roll much better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I have had trouble with the pins of the accumate couplers on the Atlas cars falling out. I have not been able to replace it and end up pulling the truck off and replacing it with an MT truck & coupler. The newer Atlas cars seem to last longer and hold up better, maybe it was just a quality issue that has been corrected.

Glenn
 
I like to use Atlas Accumates to couple locos together, as the locos don't seem to hunt or separate as much as they do with MTL couplers.

Accumates are easy to uncouple with skewers, and I like the fact that they don't exhibit the slinky effect. Since I don't use magnetic uncouplers, I remove the pins before they fall out.


Regards,
Ron
 
By Ron McF;

Accumates are easy to uncouple with skewers, and I like the fact that they don't exhibit the slinky effect.

The Micro Trains may couple easier but the jerky movement or "slinky effect" of the Micro Trains couplers is almost a deal breaker for me. Back in the old days, Kadee, (as they were known then) sold small springs to be put on one or two axles to retard the jerky movement but it also added a greater load to be pulled for each car that had a spring installed on it.

So far, I'm happy with the Accumates and have at least considered the idea of replacing my MT couplers with Accumates. Time and more experience will be the deciding factor.
 
Kadee, (as they were known then) sold small springs to be put on one or two axles to retard the jerky movement but it also added a greater load to be pulled for each car that had a spring installed on it.
I do remember those, but didn't see a reason for them. I never really had any issue with this "slinky" effect since my layout was small and grades were excessive due to the three level design. :o
 
I've got a few cars with Accumates. They look better IMO but I can't get them to uncouple with the hard drive magnets I'm using as uncouplers. The fault may very well be mine for being too cheap to buy proper uncouplers... but the Micro Trains units work fine. The slinky effect is a little annoying though.
 
After watching trains run with both Accumates and Micro-Trains couplers, I decided to go with Micro-Trains.

The Accumates may not have the slinky effect, but the distance between cars is unacceptable. Atlas cut down the distance slightly when they modified the Accumates coupler box, but the distances between my cars are from 6 to 7 scale feet.

On the other hand, the distance between Micro-Trains cars is less than 4 scale feet.
 


My observation was this. I bought several new Atlas releases that had the Accumate couplers. I run 30-40 car trains at Ntrak shows and have to put the Atlas cars at the rear of the train. The knuckles keep breaking. No problems with the MT's. On most of my trains where switching each car is not needed, I started using the dummy couplers. They work great and don't uncouple while rolling.

Jeff
 
Atlas cut down the distance slightly when they modified the Accumates coupler box, but the distances between my cars are from 6 to 7 scale feet.
Interesting observation no one else has brought up.
I run 30-40 car trains at Ntrak shows and have to put the Atlas cars at the rear of the train. The knuckles keep breaking.
Actually breaking, or "breaking apart"? Not good news here and another 1st time I heard/read that. :(

Anyone else comment on either?
 
Interesting observation no one else has brought up.Actually breaking, or "breaking apart"? Not good news here and another 1st time I heard/read that. :(

Anyone else comment on either?

The knuckle on mine actually broke. Too much pull on them. After the second one broke, I never tried it again. Same run of cars though. It was the atlas covered hoppers with the paint over lettering. All released at the same time. Maybe they knew of the problem and retooled them? Can't say. Haven't bought any newer cars from Atlas.
 
I prefer MT couplers I have a double crossing on my layout and the accumate's tend to hang up at this crossing. I never have any issues with MT couplers at this crossing.
 
By Nbuilder;

I prefer MT couplers I have a double crossing on my layout and the accumate's tend to hang up at this crossing. I never have any issues with MT couplers at this crossing.

Sounds like you need to do some adjusting to the couplers or to the uncoupling pins. They are hanging too low if they are hanging up or snagging any track work. Once properly adjusted they will clear guard and stock rails with no problem.
 


By Nbuilder;



Sounds like you need to do some adjusting to the couplers or to the uncoupling pins. They are hanging too low if they are hanging up or snagging any track work. Once properly adjusted they will clear guard and stock rails with no problem.

You can't adjust the uncoupling pins on the Atlas or Athearn couplers. This is the reason I use MT couplers.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top