After much thought I decided to go with N-Scale. The space I have to work with measures 10' x 7' and after playing around with a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood I quickly decided I didn't like one of those. I designed a horse shoe shaped bench 10' feet long with a 30" x 6' leg on one end and a 36" x 4' leg on the other end connected by a 27" deep section.
I have started buying up N-Scale equipment and just ordered a Life Like Proto N Scale GP38-2, part #75019. Looked like it would be a good one.
When it comes to the track I realized that I don't know a thing about it other than I want to use Atlas with a cork bed. So ... can you tell me what the difference is between Code 55 and Code 80 Atlas N-Scale track ?
I have 10 different cars on the way and this one beautimous Loco that I really liked the looks of. All help appreciated![]()
Hello Pulaskius,
I am also fond of the ProtoN GP-38-2s- so much so that I own 8 of them. Great choice in motive power.
As to the track, I guess I am jumping in a little too late because it looks like you've already decided to go with 55. However, permit me to explain why I went with Code 80, (besides the fact that is a lot cheaper)- by the time you paint the ties and rails and ballast the track- it looks pretty good. Plus, the slightly greater height is a real plus when you want to model grade crossings, street trackage or wood planked decks at passenger stations. Code 80 also accommodates the occasional "pizza cutters." My only caveat is to use flex track as much as you can so you can cut down on the connections (and possible gaps)- I used the old fashioned sectional track and wish I could go back in time.
All the best,
Sean C.
Last edited by a moderator:
