Atlas S.Series..

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


willzrailz

New Member
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what size of speaker is used in the ATLAS HO Silver series Dash 8 -39B locomotives? I know they are rounds and possibly 2 ea. can be used. Also, is it requred to replace the lamps with LED's?
Thanks to all who reply.
Will
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Atlas Silver series does not have sound, so there is no speaker size.
AFAIK, all the Silver and Gold series stuff already has LEDs installed from the factory.
 
Atlas Silver series does not have sound, so there is no speaker size.
AFAIK, all the Silver and Gold series stuff already has LEDs installed from the factory.
hmm... no sound from factory, Understandable, for sure BUT, once an sound decoder has been installed, I believe that the next thing would be to install speakers.. Don't mean to correct ppl's replies or opinions, That is not what I am here for...I believe that there is actually a place to install the speakers around the weight. This is plugged with a factory (replaceable) weight --> speaker.
thx!
 


I know the newer silver series locos use the sound chassis and they have steel plugs where the speakers go in the locos. I am not sure what size speakers go in though. I will have to measure one of the openings tomorrow.
 
He was asking about the Dash 8-39B which I had a bunch of undecs and the newer runs had the sound chassis in them with round weights , the 8-40C/CW's and mp15DC's are the same way. You can see the round plugs and different circuit boards in 3 of the chassis the other 3 or older runs with a different setup.

100_1896-XL.jpg


100_1894-XL.jpg
 
Here are photos of a Silver Series Atlas locomotive, maybe you could point out where the removable speaker weight is?

your pics show a older 2007 model which was before atlas changed some of the non sound locos to use the same chassis as sound units. I am not sure if all of them were changed but I know a lot of the DC units I have here have been.
 
your pics show a older 2007 model which was before atlas changed some of the non sound locos to use the same chassis as sound units. I am not sure if all of them were changed but I know a lot of the DC units I have here have been.
I also have a Dash 8 and an MP15 without the speaker plugs. In the recent past, I've had both an SD35 and a GP 38 without them. In fact, I got rid of them, and got Gold series replacements because of this. Looks like the correct answer is "it depends".
 
I also have a Dash 8 and an MP15 without the speaker plugs. In the recent past, I've had both an SD35 and a GP 38 without them. In fact, I got rid of them, and got Gold series replacements because of this. Looks like the correct answer is "it depends".

Like I was saying earlier, Atlas changed the models in newer runs utilizing the same parts for Silver and Gold units most likely to have less parts for the units. My pics show older 8-40B and newer 8-40B and you can see the revised models. So if you had older models then they wont have the speaker enclosures but newer models most likely will. I know the new 8-40B, MP15, GP40-2W, GP40-2, 8-40C, 8-40CW all have them but my older runs do not. The change was recent so within the past 3 - 4 years. That is why your older models do not have the speaker enclosures.
 


The plugs are 1.170" which is 29.7mm so any speaker around that size will fit.
As for taking the shell off there are tabs by the cab, middle, and end of the. If you sqeeze the rear and middle of the body while lightly pulling on it the shell should start to pop off and work your way up to the front.

DSC00048-M.jpg


DSC00049-M.jpg


DSC00051-M.jpg
 
speaker size..

Hey,
Thank you for taking the time measuring this for me. How difficult is it to remove the shell in order to get to the instruments inside the locomotive?
Thanks again!
Will
 
Hey,
Thank you for taking the time measuring this for me. How difficult is it to remove the shell in order to get to the instruments inside the locomotive?
Thanks again!
Will

I wrote above how to pop the shell off and showed a pic of where the tabs are. Sometimes it takes a little work but dont try to force it off as you will break the tabs.
 
I wrote above how to pop the shell off and showed a pic of where the tabs are. Sometimes it takes a little work but dont try to force it off as you will break the tabs.
Oh! sorry! I didn't catch that part of your recent reply but I did now! Thanks Much!
Will
 
hmm... no sound from factory, Understandable, for sure BUT, once an sound decoder has been installed, I believe that the next thing would be to install speakers.. Don't mean to correct ppl's replies or opinions, That is not what I am here for...I believe that there is actually a place to install the speakers around the weight. This is plugged with a factory (replaceable) weight --> speaker.
thx!

So if it is plugged with a weight, then wouldn't you just compare the speaker size with the factory weight that you've removed? I don't see an issue with upgrading your car to include an aftermarket speaker.
 
your pics show a older 2007 model which was before atlas changed some of the non sound locos to use the same chassis as sound units. I am not sure if all of them were changed but I know a lot of the DC units I have here have been.

Atlas has made it very simple. All you need to do is look at the box.

Atlas Red Box - No speaker frame
Atlas Master Series - No speaker frame
Atlas Master Series Silver - Has speaker frame
Atlas Master Series Gold - Already has sound
Atlas Trainman - No speaker frame
Atlas Classic - No speaker frame
Atlas Yellow Box - No speaker frame.

The speaker frame is a standard size except in the MP15DC. A 28mm round speaker (or a pair of speakers) with the cone(s) facing inward is how they should be installed. The brass tab holds the speaker in. With an MP15DC, the rectangular speaker goes under the front headlight. There is a removable weight there for that purpose.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Atlas has made it very simple. All you need to do is look at the box.

Atlas Red Box - No speaker frame
Atlas Master Series - No speaker frame
Atlas Master Series Silver - Has speaker frame
Atlas Master Series Gold - Already has sound
Atlas Trainman - No speaker frame
Atlas Classic - No speaker frame
Atlas Yellow Box - No speaker frame.

Thats wrong cause I have silver series and some have the speaker frame and some dont but in silver series boxes.
 
Thats wrong cause I have silver series and some have the speaker frame and some dont but in silver series boxes.

Were they in their original boxes? The only reason Atlas went to the silver and gold is because they wanted to differentiate between sound and non-sound.

Perhaps they ran out of boxes or had a surplus and decided to use them? For example, Athearn Genesis changed to the dark blue boxes when they dropped MRC for Tsunami, but there are some models out there in the old yellow Genesis box with Tsunami sound because they had boxes left over and didn't want to waste them.
 


Were they in their original boxes? The only reason Atlas went to the silver and gold is because they wanted to differentiate between sound and non-sound.

Perhaps they ran out of boxes or had a surplus and decided to use them? For example, Athearn Genesis changed to the dark blue boxes when they dropped MRC for Tsunami, but there are some models out there in the old yellow Genesis box with Tsunami sound because they had boxes left over and didn't want to waste them.

Thats how they came from the distributor, lol. As for surplus boxes that is something you would have to ask Atlas but I am just saying that during the swithc of chassis the box didnt matter, now all the newer stuff in the silver boxes has a sound chassis for most of the items.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top