Atlas HO Trainman Headlights

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


The series # for all Atlas locomotives s/b printed on the outside of the box. I don't know what a series 1000 is for an RS-36, but if it has a series 10 000, and likely the golded white LED, the circuit board on that locomotive makes you crank the throttle to about a scale 70 mph to even see the light. I feel your pain.

One thing to consider is the bulkiness of the circuit you will build/buy. Manufacturer's like to put as much weight as possible and keep the circuit boards thin to fit everything under the shell. Maybe open up the locomotives and research the height of the circuits you will build to see if your radio shack components will fit. The aftermarket constant lighting circuit I bought for my old Athearn Blue Box gp38-2 did not. It was useless because of this.

BTW, The RS-36 has a funky two part shell that is not easily removed without a lot of patience and care. Its a two parter. You may want to remove the delicate handrails before you remove the shell because they can flex and snap if you're working the shell a lot.

The GP-38-2 shell is a one piece deal that just slides off after you remove the couplers and boxes. Much easier.

Lights coming on brightly at idle may be poor wording. In my case, the LEDs shine brightly with the very first initial dial off-of-zero of the throttle. It then takes about 15% of the throttle to get the locomotive to move on my Atlas RS-11/C424 modification. So, yes, the LED shines brightly long before the motor turns and the engine moves. Effectively, its at idle. I don't know if Atlas intended it to work this way, but it does, which is why I modified all of my Atlas locomotives to that circuit board set up. I just modified them to what I knew worked and didn't try to reinvent the wheel.

After 50 years of technological "improvements", what you think should be very simple, like a light (that you pay for) actually shining when the locomotive moves, is really not. Why, I don't know.
 
I'll bump my own rant here, with links to Atlas' website. Linked are the parts diagrams to various locomotives. Note the changes made to the 850120 board and jumper plug.

This variation of board and plug (850121) provides great lighting at slow speeds, combined w/the golden white LED. (Its from the U23b, which works just as well as the RS-11/C424/5). That 850121 plug is no longer made. Note the resistors shown in the board.

http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/HO GE U23B DIESEL LOCO 1.pdf


This variation stinks. This is the one you have, and I think all new Atlas locomotives will have. The GP39-2 is their newest trainman locomotive. Note a more complicated jumper plug 850121 and no resistors in the board.

http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/HOTMGP39-2.pdf
 
Yes, I believe you are right. The old style board is no longer used because Atlas is producing the silver series locos with the sound chassis with every new run. The sound chassis Silver Series have lead plugs in the speaker housings (which can be removed to add sound later) and because of the A-frame speaker housing, the board is smaller (which is a pain in the rear end to add sound to because the board replacement decoders won't fit)
 


Yes, I believe you are right. The old style board is no longer used because Atlas is producing the silver series locos with the sound chassis with every new run. The sound chassis Silver Series have lead plugs in the speaker housings (which can be removed to add sound later) and because of the A-frame speaker housing, the board is smaller (which is a pain in the rear end to add sound to because the board replacement decoders won't fit)

Actually, for the Trainman, the board is the same as the old one, its the jumper plug and lack of soldered-in resistors that has changed...

But yes, they changed the board on the Silver series too, and even the weights as you mentioned, so the old (good) board won't even fit.

So now the more expensive silver series GP38 (and maybe eventually all other Silver series locomotives) gets the same crappy headlight performance of the lower priced Trainman. For this reason, I doubt that I'll spend good money to buy any Atlas locomotive that has a Serial # above 10 000. Proto is heading this way too, I think.

I'm a DC guy, and I know the realities of the market place and how the hobby is moving away from me, but geez, a low speed functioning light circuit board you'd think would be something easily and cheaply manufactured.

A lot of the guys who have gotten into sound say so because once they heard the realism of the sound, they had to have it. Well, maybe certain beginners in the hobby would love to see really bright lights shine as the LHS owner demonstrates the smooth low speed performance of a Trainman locomotive on his test track.
 
Not to obsess over this issue or anything:rolleyes: but I noticed the guy on the bay who routinely sells Atlas parts is selling the item I'm talking about, complete with resistors and simple dummy plug, IF the photo can be believed.

For about $10 including shipping, your golden white LEDs will shine brightly at low speed on DC and you'll have an 8 pin plug that will probably accept many manufacturers' decoders, if/when you convert to DCC later on.

Simply undo the wire harnesses and reattach them is all the work you have to do. Atlas should make more of these and install them in all of their new locomotives where the weights/space allows, IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Board-Many-L...728991?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3a5f1b515f
 
First of all, it depends on whether the headlights are bulbs or LEDs. If they are bulbs, then they will be dim until you run the loco faster. If they are LEDs, then they won't light up until they get to a certain voltage, but will stay lit when it reaches that voltage. If you wire the LEDs straight to the motor, then you will blow them out in a fraction of a second.

Instead of ranting about the manufacturer providing an "unsatisfactory" answer, why don't you educate yourself on the product?

Well arent you mister snooty! How would you like it if you called your washing machine manufacturer man and told him it was loud. he told you to run it while your not home? Or have you just not gotten any lately?

I would have been irritated if I received the same response. They are the manufacturer and should know how to answer the question. If they cant, they should be able to say they do not know.

Just my two cents and yes I am satisfied
 
Mark, I admit to being a bit blunt, but I said what I said because Atlas had NO POSSIBLE WAY to help him. Atlas cannot bend the laws of physics. He's running DC which is where he applies power to the tracks and the locomotive runs. If you want constant bright headlights, you need more voltage. You can't use what's not there. And if you read the entire thread, you'd see that I've been providing him possible solutions, and in other threads (such as such as the trainman vs the powerpack issue) I've been helping him throughout the thread.

If you just registered for the forums to criticize my responses, then I'd suggest that you read all of them!

I've had nothing but courteous and to-the-point responses from Atlas. He summed up what Atlas said. I'm sure Atlas did not just say "go DCC or run your trains faster"

And by the way, I go upstairs while doing laundry so that when the whole house shakes, I'm as far away from the epicenter as possible. :D (no joke! my washing machine shakes the whole house!)

And.... Welcome to the forums :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just came across this thread and I'm not patient enough to read 3 pages of posts but there's something I don't understand. I was under the impression that Trainman locomotives do not come with DCC Boards (DCC installed). Their ad for the GP38-2 states, "NMRA 8-pin plug for DCC," which I have found to mean that the locomotive has a DC Board. To run DCC you do not have to do any fancy wiring or replace the headlight bulbs; simply remove the jumper pin, plug in you decoder,set the address (if you don't like 3) and go. The decoder gives you the DCC function, not the board included with the locomotive. Of course all that means nothing to you since you only plan to run DC. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but there are electronic kits available to run constant lighting on DC locomotives (I can't remember the brands). The kits require some degree of wiring expertise. When the power is off, your lights are off, of course. But when you put power to the track the lights come one about the same time you locomotive starts to creep.

Ray
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think that involves capacitors or batteries. I think batteries would be easier. Capacitors would need to charge up and would not work once the power is completely discharged from the capacitor (meaning that it would need to be charged up again).

Now that I think of it, Miniatronics does make a kit where it comes with a circuit board and an on-off switch. It was made for on-off functions on DC, but I've only seen one, never installed one so I'm not sure how it works. The board is mounted right under the turbo hatch and you would pop the hatch to flip the switch to turn the lights on or off.

Thinking about it, batteries would be easier. For bulbs, you can hook it up to a battery, size AAA to D (they're all 1.5 volts), and for LEDs, you could hook them to a 9-volt battery with a resistor (which is how I test my LEDs before I wire them in)

And yes, the Trainman locomotives have the same frame and drive as the old Atlas Master Series/Master Series Silver without sound or DCC. (The current Master Series Silver has an 8-pin plug on the sound chassis with no speakers). He runs DC and does not want to switch to DCC, so adding DCC isn't an option for him.
 


Rapido might have something close to a solution, its a light board that is powered by batteries and toggled on/off with a magnet that you pass over the controller board
 
I'm on my way out the door, and didn't see this mentioned. If It has, I apologize for the duplication.
Why not get some resistors, and wire them in to the motor leads? It will slow the motors down, you'll need to increase the throttle, and the headlights will be bright. It may be a better solution than buying LEDs or building a constant lighting system. All you'd need would be some resistors and a soldering iron.
 
The resistors will also get very hot, hot enough to melt the shell. The stock headlights on the model are LEDs.

If you read his other thread about his powerpack getting too hot to touch, then adding resistors is NOT what he would want to do.
 
If you can fit it in, the Miniatronics lamp circuit on this page and linked below probably offers the best solution. Credit to ray46 for finding the site.

constantlighting_basic.gif


I don't like the LED circuits on that page. They use the motor as ballast (the current limiting device that all LEDs require). Not a good idea in my book.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have DCC installed in my Atlas TM GP38-2 and want to convert to LED's. I'm good with a soldering iron i just need to get pointed in the right direction
 
Constant Lighting Kits

Have you considered installing constant lighting kits that were popular before the arrival of DCC? I recall installing them in my Athearn Blue Box locos.

Greg
 


Have you considered installing constant lighting kits that were popular before the arrival of DCC? I recall installing them in my Athearn Blue Box locos.

Greg

just a thought here, but wouldn't a decient capacitor help, granted you would need to recharge it but it would recharge when the train is running under power so in essence you would get your lights at idel effect, granted you would most likely need/want to convert to LED for best effect but it would help provide the extra "idle" power for the lights with minimal power draw...just a thought here though...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top