Atlas Forum

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I don't mean to go off the core topic but attitudes on various forums have always puzzled me. I surf many of the model railroad and prototype forums available. I don't always log on because I am usually just viewing and I don't post or reply much because I don't like to rehash information. I can't understand why people critisize other peoples work or ideas. This is a hobby and is meant to be enjoyed by all ages, abilities and budgets. If your not enjoying it why do it? The worst example I ever encountered was on another forum where I asked about the status of a rare locomotive. The only replys were along the lines of "They made eleven of them and six have been saved who cares about that one". Needless to say I never posted there again. We are supposed to like trains isn't that the point of this hobby? This has always been an active and and enjoyable forum and that is why I enjoy it.

Agreed


On a side note, it looks like the Atlas forum is mainly a discussion forum? I dont see anyones layouts posted or anything like that, which is why I had joined the forum in the first place :o
 
I gave up on the Atlas forum some time ago when I got an acceptance email and could not access the forum, as a matter of fact I just tried to log in but got rejected, in the past I was able to access a forum without getting a final approval email but obviously not the Atlas Forum, oh well life goes on.
 


There can be a lot of good information and can be some very useful responses. There are also a couple chronic whiners and about three people whose departure would improve the place immensely. They appear to have nothing else to do but post.
 
I was doing alot of searching for a "busy" model railroad forum. I'm a member over at the Atlas forum, but never use it anymore. This one seems to be the busiest one I've found, so I stay here mostly.
 
Yes. Spare us from the gilded-experts phenomenon. Some of the Adobe software forums were like that. Half the hovering trolls that populate them tell everyone, with even a rational question, to "read the manual" or the FAQ sections. Life is too short...
 
Josh,

I registered over there about 48 hours ago, and I hadnt heard anything either. You aint alone.....

Brad


Dare I mention another forum on Model Railroad Forums :D, but could anyone help me out? I registered for the Atlas Forum this morning and am still not able to post or login. I sent an email to the forum and have not heard back from anyone either. I didnt get a welcome email or any other email containing a link to click to confirm the account or anything.

Anyone else had any problems registering with the forum? i never thought to register over there before, clicked a link today and said "why not join this forum too" lol. If someone here is a member over there, would you mind contacting one of the mods over there to see whats up with the status of my account? As on every forum, my username I registered over there is the same here; Trucklover

Thanks in advance for anyones help
 
Forget Atlas, those people are the biggest a--holes on the internet. You'll regret it. NOTHING makes those guys happy, they stay perpetually miserable.

That attitude is hardly unique to that forum. It's the same reason I got sick of pro-wrestling forums. You name it those guys whine about it. Nothing any wrestling fed does will ever please them.
 
"...and that the forum posters are beating a dead horse. "

Awwww... poor ol' dead horsey! ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with model railroading being a hobby. We get to build our own little worlds, the way we want them to be. (Sometimes successfully, sometimes not... (sigh)) And if it makes the trolls and rivet counters happy to criticize others, well, then, I guess that's what they're going to do. Doesn't mean that I like it -- I don't -- but to each his own.

My "railroad of choice" is the Illinois Central, circa late 60's; years ago, I took an Athearn SD-9, cut out the dynamic brakes and made a flat hood (for lack of a better term), added stacks and a few detail parts. Then I looked through the all-time ICRR roster and found a "dead spot" of 10 numbers between the GP-7s / GP-9s and the arrival of the GP-18s -- and that's where my SD-9 fit in.

Did the ICRR have SD-9s? Not that I can tell. Did I want one? Yes. Do I really care if the rivet counters get ticked off that I built one? Nope... I'm now working on some ore cars, which will be painted up for the ICRR -- hey, I like those, too, and my SD-9 has to have something to pull!

Oooh, and wait until "they" get a hold of my ICRR F-units and... :D

Best regards to all (yes, even the trolls...),
Tom
 


You guys should see aviation forums. Good grief... "Mine is bigger/faster than yours. Your/that airline sucks. You guys are scabs. You guys are over/underpaid. Unions, flight attendants, mergers...blah blah blah..."

All sound and fury amounting to nothing...
 
I have seen some heated discussions take place over some of the dumbest things to, LOL.

Hey Josh go into there and mention Graffiti or how you want it on your models, LOL.
 
Shoot, if you want to get into an argument on graffiti, I can be of service right here!!

It's one of the things I hate most about modern railroading (and modern life in general). I grit my teeth every time I watch a train go by... although sometimes I smile when I see an "untagged" car.

Am I opposed to all forms of graffiti? Absolutely not. My 60's era stuff has lots of "Kilroy was here" and "Class of 66" and spotting marks, etc. But the "tagging" one sees today? Not on MY railroad!!

My two cents worth on graffiti... ;)

Regards,
Tom
 
The internet seems to breed a form of trolls on forums. No matter what the subject there are always people wanting to argue about something.

Why? Because they can easily hide behind a keyboard, confrontations at the worst are just words. But people seem have "more balls" on a forum, than they would if they were talking to other people in person.

Maybe it's because they are unhappy with their life, and it makes them feel good to trash another person and make them feel superior.

ahhh the rivet counters......:(
 
Awwww... poor ol' dead horsey! ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with model railroading being a hobby. We get to build our own little worlds, the way we want them to be. (Sometimes successfully, sometimes not... (sigh)) And if it makes the trolls and rivet counters happy to criticize others, well, then, I guess that's what they're going to do. Doesn't mean that I like it -- I don't -- but to each his own.

My "railroad of choice" is the Illinois Central, circa late 60's; years ago, I took an Athearn SD-9, cut out the dynamic brakes and made a flat hood (for lack of a better term), added stacks and a few detail parts. Then I looked through the all-time ICRR roster and found a "dead spot" of 10 numbers between the GP-7s / GP-9s and the arrival of the GP-18s -- and that's where my SD-9 fit in.

Did the ICRR have SD-9s? Not that I can tell. Did I want one? Yes. Do I really care if the rivet counters get ticked off that I built one? Nope... I'm now working on some ore cars, which will be painted up for the ICRR -- hey, I like those, too, and my SD-9 has to have something to pull!

Oooh, and wait until "they" get a hold of my ICRR F-units and... :D

Best regards to all (yes, even the trolls...),
Tom

While we're nit-picking, Illinois Central's reporting marks are IC not ICRR. :):D:cool:
 
Hey Josh go into there and mention Graffiti or how you want it on your models, LOL.

lol @ Mark! I dont know, I think Josh could hang with the best of them over there.

LOL im going to have to look for some of these threads and read them, they sound like they could be interesting. Of coarse then I will have to hold myself back from jumping in and bringing a thread back from the dead and stirring the fire up all over again so maybe I wont :D
 
there also good for the 4 year old dead thread revival. but that seems to
happen on all forums. there was a thread about plywood somewhere
that had a 3 year gap it posts somebody felt they needed to reply with
"ya i like wood too"
 


LOL im going to have to look for some of these threads and read them, they sound like they could be interesting. Of coarse then I will have to hold myself back from jumping in and bringing a thread back from the dead and stirring the fire up all over again so maybe I wont :D

heh not on your first day!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top