Atlas Big Layout Book, HO 35, Berkshire Valley Route

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Have Fun!

I like! I used to think I had too much track per square inch of table. You have outdone me by a sufficient margin that I now feel that I can add more. :)
The MAIN objective in Model Railroading is to have FUN! What I wanted was an INTERESTING layout that I would NEVER get tired of; I believe I'm well on my way to that goal, AND I am having a REAL good time in the process!!
 
Yard Improvements Continue.............

Another John Armstrong point for realistic operations is a turn-table for turning locomotives. I was planning on replacing my twenty-eight year old Atlas turn-table with one made by Peco. When I received the new turn-table and seen first hand what was involved in trying to motorize it, I return it for a refund. Hearing some complaints about the expensive one available at Walthers, I decided to go with what I had. Thankfully AtlasRR still can supply the drive belt (AtlasRR part no. 9302112) for $1.25 plus S&H; the smaller rubber bands I was using were always breaking.
With the turn-table installed, I had eighth full size spurs for my longest locomotives. One additional short one for a switcher and possible a tenth; I don't know if there will be room, this is why I haven't installed the roadbed for the tenth yet.
I have an entrance and exit track, with room alongside for Walthers (933-2908) diesel fueling island. Locomotives entering the turn-table on the left, entrance track will have the option to "Fill er up" before proceeding.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Less Golf, more Motorcycle and Model Railroad

A lot has happened in the two years since I last posted on this thread. Just when I started to get good at golf, mainly because I don't care about the score anymore, I give up my club membership. Golf doesn't interest me as much as my new Harley Davidson and my old train board.
I gave away all of my non-sound locomotives to a friend's son. Over the last two years, I have purchased 9 new DCC sound locomotives, mostly Walthers Proto 2000, 2-GP60, 2-F7, 2-F3, 2-GP20, 1-SW1500. In addition, I have and still love my 3 MTH SD70 ACe locomotives. My only complaint with MTH is I can't "consist" them with my DCC locomotives. It really doesn't present a big problem, because these engines are large and pull a tremendous amount of weight by themselves. I just canceled a pre-order for 2 MTH GP35 locomotives because of this problem.
To the layout, I've added a siding with two spurs to the West end industrial yard. I had put the track down about a year ago, but just got around to the electric recently. In a photo the red LEDs represent the new track. I have corrected all my track problems. Today, when I have a derailment, it's usually one truck of a freight car and the problem can be found in the distance between the wheel flanges.
 


Great to have you back on the forum and it's good to see your interest in model rail renewed. We'll be looking forward to seeing more new photos of the layout.
Cheers
Willis
 
New DCC/Sound Locomotives

Thank you, sometimes an earlier interest can be rekindled by just getting older! I've attached photos of 7 of 9 of my new DCC/Sound locomotives. The 2 GP60's were pre-ordered and have not been delivered yet.
 
Thank you, sometimes an earlier interest can be rekindled by just getting older! I've attached photos of 7 of 9 of my new DCC/Sound locomotives. The 2 GP60's were pre-ordered and have not been delivered yet.

Engines look good. One question - that looks like an awful lot of trackage in a small place, are you planning on a round house and how will it fit?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
More is Better

Engines look good. One question - that looks like an awful lot of trackage in a small place, are you planning on a round house and how will it fit?
My plan was to get as much "operation" out of of this layout as possible; I "think" I've done that for the most part. I just ordered a train "operations" book from Model Railroader, which I plan to take on vacation this summer to study.
One other possibility I was thinking was to extend the West end enough to utilize all of the locomotive stalls available on the existing turn-table. When I did that I was going add a second surrounding main line to circle the 4.5 X 15 foot layout again. This would give me a total of 4 mainlines, plus the yard and turn-table area.
I would be interested in a round house if it had the capability to handle my three SD70 locomotives. They just fit onto this Atlas turn-table with only fractions of an inch to spare.
The more engine storage I have for my layout the better. I would then "have to" purchase additional locomotives to fill any voids!
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top