Athearns new release!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I hope that those of you enthralled by the possibility of "real" working walkway and step lights, don't actually think that these will be working lights. The only way these types of lights could be represented would be with LED's. Athearn has avoided the use of LED's like the plague, claiming that the quick burnout lights they now use are more prototypical. I am a big fan of Athearn but their refusal to incorporate LED's is stupid, especially at the price point these Locos are now going for. I can't think of another manf that still uses bulbs. Ever try to replace a burned out ditch light? A switch to Led technology would not require a significant price increase, especially with the quantities Athearn would use.

I would agree with Athearn that in years past the LED color (bluish) looked crappy, but now there are LED's that represent incandescent and halogen bulbs very effectively. Outside of sound what is the most noticeable attribute that a loco has? You guessed it, it's lighting. C'mon Athearn, wake up and see the light (LED that is).

Well, I feel better now that that's off my chest. Time for my meds.

Couldnt agree more!!!
 


OK now this is starting to irritate me.

Athearn is the only one who is still using bulbs. WTF? Come on man, even Bachmann has LEDs in their locos! Good grief.
 
Motley,
To add fuel to the fire the Genesis S.P. caboose is going to have LED's. :D

whaaat-i-dont-even.jpg
 
Damn! real nice, but the CN one doesn't come in its original 5000s numbers.
I model 1974 and this model won't do. Maybe they will come out with a second release someday numbered this way:
 


Yes, but for the price, I'd expect to NOT have to do that.

Hey, consider yourself lucky. I'm probably gonna buy 3 or 4, then have to paint,letter and number the whole thing!! I wish all I lacked were the correct numbers!!:eek:

Oh yeah, and I'll still have to pay the same price!!:(
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top