ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Although Athearn may not be making undecs anymore for a lot of there locos, they can still be found online at almost every hobby shop or hobby retailer.... Check out your favorite hobby website, they should have at least some of them. Do a Google search for the undec loco your looking for.....
I did a google search as suggested (why did I not think of that) and while I did find several of the type I am looking for, they were all $100 plus. What I need is even just the shell of a GP38 or 40 so I can attempt my first custom paint job.
Try looking for Rail Power Products Undec. Shells. Proto Power West/A-LINE sells Rail Power I know for sure, think he may have what you are looking for. If not try e-bay to see if you can get an Athearn Blue Box loco or each there for Rail Power shells or other shells you are looking for
I have seen quite a few shells on Ebay. I was not looking for GP38's, but I saw a bunch os SW7,9,1000,1500's. If you are just wanting to "practice painting" then just get what ever you can find, cheap. If you expect to end up using that shell, then I guess you need the correct shell.
The decorated ones become "un-decorated" with a little soaking in alcohol and a little elbow grease with a soft nylon brush.