ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Picked up another CNW Dash 9 this weekend for $50 bucks and decided to bring it back to life. It was in a little bit of rough shape, but nothing that could not be fixed. With some added details and working Ditch Lights I think it turned out well.
Missing Ditch Light Mount. Previous owner drilled out for ditch lights, but as you can see they were not square. Plow is also missing and the start or MU cables were done. Front cab door window missing as well.
New Plow added from Details West. Ditch light mounts are in place.
New Ditch Light holes were drilled and ditch light lenses were added. Grab irons painted on nose as well. Plow is painted and MU cables are in place.
Cab grab irons added as well as wipers.
Door Window glass added.
All Complete except for coupler lift bars and installing/wiring up the lights.
This is a 2005 RTR CNW Dash 9. The detail is ok, 8701 is a 2009 model and it has better paint and a few new details. I could of ordered a new window set from athearn, but I had plastic laying around and just hand fabricated it.
I can post some pictures later, but it is really easy to do.
Supply's
- (2) 1/4 Watt 330 ohm resistors. Radio Shack is the best place
- (2) 1.5v 15ma bulbs. Micro Miniature Lamps.
- Spare wire for DCC.
All you do to wire them in is put one resistor on each lamp. Then connect the two resistors to the F1 on the board. I solder them into a Y. New Athearn boards have connections on the side and older boards have a little hole to solder in next to the 9pin plug. Solder a wire to the F1 and then the other end to the Y. Next connect the other wire from each lamp to the blue common wire. On new boards there is a connection for this next to F1. On older boards you will have to splice in between the DCC decoder plug and the board. Make sure the Blue wire is still fully connected to the board, if it is not the loco will not light up at all.
That's it. I will post picture when I have a chance, but if its not clear let me know I can explain more.
if you dont mind me asking...where did you get just the lenses for the ditch lights? they look like DW but I cannot find just the lenses only the whole ditch light....thanks again! looks fantastic!
if you dont mind me asking...where did you get just the lenses for the ditch lights? they look like DW but I cannot find just the lenses only the whole ditch light....thanks again! looks fantastic!