ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I was doing some maintenance on an Athearn N Scale Santa Fe FP45 Loco and ended up stripping the hex nut out then managed to lose it on top of that and need a replacement but I cannot find a replacement anywhere online specifically for Athearn locos so I was wondering if it is a standard size that I could order from any hardware store or Amazon and what size they use for their N Scale models?
Thanks!
I forgot to mention, I have a misc hex nut/bolt set and tried an M3 hex nut but it was just slightly too big. So I'm wondering if they use an M2 or something "special" that only they would have, or "other?" Thanks!
Gomez Addams
Staff member
If it's the plastic nut that helps clamp the frame halves together, the exact size isn't critical, as long as it fits the hole provided and you can run the screw from the other side through it.
Thanks, but it's a metal nut. They use two. One on each side to hold the two halves of the loco together.
Gomez Addams
Staff member
I just removed the shell from one of mine, and it has a metal screw on one side and a plastic nut on the other, on each end of the frame. Is yours different?
Yes, that's odd. It's a metal nut and a metal screw, both black.
Gomez Addams
Staff member
Yes, that's odd. It's a metal nut and a metal screw, both black.
It could be they are from different runs of the same engine. Without getting into the weeds about it, if a series was produced in, say, 2008, and used metal nuts, then another run in 2011 used plastic nuts because the metal ones weren't available. It really won't matter all that much, as long as the nut and screw hold the frame halves together. It will also give you another option if you can't find the hardware it shipped with.
Ok, thank you so much. I didn't think or realize that as long as it was "smaller" than the hole it would work, so I just ordered a set of small hex nuts in misc sizes from M1, M1.5, M2, etc, along with the matching screws so hopefully that will fix me up. I should know on Wednesday as that's the soonest they say they can get it to me with Prime. I'll update the thread and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Are we sure that Athearn used metric nuts/bolts for that model? Could be machine screws instead. For something that small, just finding something the goes through the hole should do as Terry says. Ya, if you are OCD, makes for buying more tools, bins and screws.
Is it in an insulating tube or does it matter if the two halves are connected with conductive material?
Gomez Addams
Staff member
Is it in an insulating tube or does it matter if the two halves are connected with conductive material?
Most N scale locomotives have a plastic flanged washer that insulates the frame halves from the metal screws.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)