Athearn GP15-1

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hi, I have an Athearn Genesis HO Scale Conrail GP15-1 and I'm using the prodigy express DCC system and the locomotive does not move, all the sounds work fine though. I tried other locomotives and they worked. The GP15-1 does not work on DC either. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thank You
 
do the lights come on? did you get it new or used? might have to program it to another address. you will probably have to program it on the main, so make sure that all of the other locos are off the track.
 


It could be something as simple as a contact from the board to the motor jostled loose in shipping.
I have also set cv 19 to 0, so the engine would move. It was stuck in a phantom consist.
 
I also use the Prodigy Express system. Programing is somewhat of a PIA. Try the default setting for the decoder, 03. If that doesn't work.......look up the reset CV in your locomotives documentation, and reprogram on the main, as was previously suggested.
 
Hi so if it is set on 3 it is automatically on defaut settings? And I tried reprogramming it and now it dosen't work on 3.

Do you remember what you tried to reprogram it to?

Check the documentation that came with the locomotive. You should be able to find the reset CV Try that while programing on the main. That should take you back to 03. If not, call Athearn tomorrow, and see if they can talk you through the re-set.
 
Also make sure when doing the reset, especially if on the main, that no other engines are on the track. You may reset those as well.
 


I'm still having this problem, it doesn't run on the standard 3 setting on the DCC, it runs for a short time and then stops. Does anyone know why?

Thanks
 
Athearn GP15

I have 3 Athearn DCC &Sound locos,and all had to go back from new for repairs. Your problem may be the same as my F7,it would only run for about 6 inches and stop. Tested at Club diagnostic J M something by an expert,and he found there was no power coming from one truck,and the pick ups on the other were loose. All 3 fixed by Athearn,and now are perfect. Cheers Owen
 
Thanks Paul B .That was the unit that proved my 3 Athearns were faulty. A friend took me to his club that has the JMRI. My club A. M. R. A. Queensland Inc. whilst it is the largest club in the State,is behind the times with DCC, but is at last ,making positive efforts to introduce this system. Cheers Sunshine Express
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top