Athearn Genesis SD75M Lighting Question

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


smlull163

New Member
Greetings to the board!

I am finally getting around to fixing broken locomotives. My current project (guess I should post pictures) is an Athearn Genesis SD75M, Warbonnet type, 8270. I did some research and found out that the reason my loco ran terrible is that the trucks were warped. I bought new and it seems to have solved that issue.

The decoder (no name printed on it) works, so I'm not complaining.

The real issue is no lights, no bulbs, no leads, no clear plastic in the shell, no nothing. The owners manual doesn't call out light bars or anything. It does not have a cab interior with it either.

It will become a second loco in a consist, so I don't need to add sound, but lights would be a great thing.

Ideas?

Scott Virginia Beach, VA
 
Leds would be the way to go IMO, there are small LEDS (forget who makes them) that may work, as for how to hook them up, not sure, im aware that most engines will have a board, but ones I confirm the midnight special is dead and non functional I may tear it down and look at how its wires are set up as it has lights only on it so I may be able to give you some insights on that...I would assume there will be a way to solder the wire leads to the motor some how...
 
You can just wire in some minatronics bulbs, 1.5 volt, 1.2 mm. They will just solder to the light tabs on the circuit board. They last much longer the stock athearn bulbs.


http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchan...e=18-001-10&Category_Code=1_1&Product_Count=1

If you want to add working ditch lights, you can get some details west ones DL360 and use the minitronic bulbs in them. They come with 3.0 volt ones, but wont work with the stock athearn board, needs to be 1.5 volt bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Details-West-HO-360-Predrilled-Ditch-Lights-w-3-0-Volt-/230590486559
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top