Athearn Challenger Questions

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


GlassTrain

New Member
Not sure if this is the place to pose this question but, here goes.

I purchased an H.O. Athearn Challenger some years back. I didn't have DCC, removed the sound/RC boards, etc and hard wired it for straight DC. Works really well, too! Tender no longer required and it runs like a six axle diesel!

Problem is, I no longer have any interest in H.O. trains(switched to N scale). Sold most everything but it. Problem is, I have no idea how much it's worth now that it's been bastardized. Any clues?

Thanks.
 
Nope, especially since Athearn has re-run them since then with greatly improved sound/electronics. If you can't decide, that is sort of what eBay is for. Auctions drive the item to whatever the market value is.

Is it UP, D&RGW, or Clichfield?
 
Thanks. Might put it on e-bay to get a sense of worth. Hmm.... sentimental value vs. monetary value. Maybe I'll keep it anyway!

BTW, it's UP 3985.
 


Ya 3985 is popular, but Athearn just released these about 3 months ago. But it will still sell on ebay no problem. Just make sure you disclose the fact that its DC only.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top