ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Well, I finished this one as far as I think but I may need to revisit it after I get feedback. I don't think I can add anything more to this one as it's as dark as it can be.
Love to hear what you think.
Dave
Dave, looks very old and rusted!!!

The back handrails coming out of the cab are on the wrong sides. They need swapped around is all.
Now I have that and the bell to fix on this one. I tell you if I ever see this one again will be to soon and I have 2 more of the same one yet to weather. Not today!
thanks
Dave
how did you do the flaking paint effect on the cab roof?
how did you do the flaking paint effect on the cab roof?
X2
Very nicely done.
For the cab roof I first painted it a rust color (Rustoleum brown spray paint - don't have color name or number here). Then I let it dry a day and then coated it with hair spray and let it dry for 1 hour. When it was dry I painted it white paint and let it dry for 20 minutes or so. When that was all done I got a tooth brush (best to use someone’s you don't like) and wet the roof and scrubbed off the white with the toothbrush till I got the look I wanted. When it was dry (das) I added some rust (oil paint) spots.
For the cab roof I first painted it a rust color (Rustoleum brown spray paint - don't have color name or number here). Then I let it dry a day and then coated it with hair spray and let it dry for 1 hour. When it was dry I painted it white paint and let it dry for 20 minutes or so. When that was all done I got a tooth brush (best to use someone’s you don't like) and wet the roof and scrubbed off the white with the toothbrush till I got the look I wanted. When it was dry (das) I added some rust (oil paint) spots.
awesome..thanks...
when you uysed the toothbrush and re-wet the surface, what did you use to wet it?
Oh yeah, for that it was just H2O.
Dave
Good looking model - the roof and darkened panel lines all look great. And I can't wait to try your hairspray technique.
Dave, any updates to this one??
Years ago when I was in the Model Car building phase I used enamel paint(flat) dark as the 1st coat & then sprayed over that w/flat lacquer lite color. The enamel w/bleed thru the lacquer & the paint would bubble up. Dave is doing basically the same thing. I only used a fine wire brush w/no water. made the vehicle look like it was all rusted out. Then where the rust was real bad I would take a blunt hobby knife & scrape away the undercoat to make it look like rust had taken over. You have to do the sprays just befoe they dry to get the paint to bubble-up. Then let it dry overnite before you do anything else. I also used a small paint brush to do just spots like the bumpers, around the bottom of doors, around the back & front windshield. It's amazing what you can do w/lacquers & enamels. The hairspray would be a lot cheaper.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)