ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I just recently purchased the Digitrax DH163AT decoder for an Athearn blue box PA-1 diesel. I have never installed a decoder before but did a little research and figured I would give it a try. Well I got it all wired and put it on the track and the light is lit and the engine begins to move but then stops. It is like there isn't enough power to move. The engine runs great on DC track. This is the decoder that Digitrax recommends according to there decoder selector but would a different decoder work better. I understand that this is an "old" engine but I figured it would run fine when converted since it runs well on the DC track. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?
It sounds like a bad connection or a short to me. Did you make sure to completely isolate the motor from the frame and not use the factory frame ground?
I was double checking my connections and ended up breaking a plastic flywheel bushing. Ugh!!! Now to try and find a replacement.
I was double checking my connections and ended up breaking a plastic flywheel bushing. Ugh!!! Now to try and find a replacement.
So the issue is a mechanical item in the drive train, or is this a different issue?
Different issue. I broke it after checking if the motor was completely isolated.
Update: I found the part I broke on Athearns site. They list it as a spline coupling. Hopefully I will be back in business.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)