Athearn BB or RTR Locos what is the big Diff

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Jason K

Member
I have two BB's and 2 rtr I have took them apart to see the diff.I will say I do like the BB with mostly all wire.The RTR has cooper plates that are bent.Now Y did they go to that for cooper plates for.And do the rtrs have better motors in them? Or are they the same???

Now for details:
What one as better details on the shell.

Please tell me the +'s and the -'s of both .I would really like to know that facts on them both.


Thanks
Jason K
 
The RTR engines are hard wired for better electrical reasons. Details like metal grabs and see thru fans, photo etched parts etc. are a feature of RTR engines. But, there isn't a major difference in the two if you ask me and generally the Blue Box motors are the better runners with some fine tuning.

-Jeff
 
Hi Jason,

As Jeff pointed out, detailing is much better on the newer engines.

Directional lighting is included on the new ones. No "glow" in the cab that looks so unrealistic.

Hope this helps.
 


Cost! RTR is much higher! Blue Box is no longer available, so you really have no choice unless you find them at Ebay or similar.
 
Cost! RTR is much higher! Blue Box is no longer available, so you really have no choice unless you find them at Ebay or similar.

Once you look at the last BB prices there wasn't much difference and the details wasn't there and BB cars and locomotives paint wasn't the best-I know I bought BB engines and cars for 55 years.

Now time has come for me to retire my older BB locomotive fleet since they are at least 30-40 years old and well worn seeing they have several years of club service.They have served me well over those years.
 
The RTR engines are hard wired for better electrical reasons. Details like metal grabs and see thru fans, photo etched parts etc. are a feature of RTR engines. But, there isn't a major difference in the two if you ask me and generally the Blue Box motors are the better runners with some fine tuning.

-Jeff

I have a major fleet of BB SD40-2's and I am curious as to what the secrets of fine tuning these are? I also have a couple RTR GP60's that are just as loud as the BB units. Same drive I am guessing? I am planning on converting all these to DCC soon...
 
I have a major fleet of BB SD40-2's and I am curious as to what the secrets of fine tuning these are? I also have a couple RTR GP60's that are just as loud as the BB units. Same drive I am guessing? I am planning on converting all these to DCC soon...


I would like to know myself how to tune them up being most of my fleet is athearn..

Jason K
 
Jason and CbarM, you might want to do a Google search for "Athearn tune up". Several websites have tutorials on disassembling, fine-tuning, and maintaining Athearn blue box locomotives. I've also been planning to make a Youtube video on the same topic, since I have a lot of personal experience with them. Either way, your locomotives can probably be made to run for years to come.

Brakie, why not upload a few photos of your engines? They might have life left in them yet. From what I've learned, a lot of Athearn RTR and BB parts are interchangeable.
 
The Blue box locos have a giant light bulb inside of them and almost all of them after a certain point of time get louder then hell, also the windshields on the blue boxes dont mold into the frame, if you are going to take the time to tune them, first thing is to get rid of the giant light bulb and put in micro bulbs in the headlight sockets, also if your running DCC, Digitrax makes a decoder specially designed for those old athearn engines. Also Blue box has metal hand rails and the new ready to roll has plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKF7U3ccnco
That link will take you to a video on how to install a decoder in a blue box if would like to do it.
 


I hear people complain about the lettering on the Blue Box cars and locomotives and I have to say that this was the least of my concerns with these kits. My cars all receive a dose of weathering and maybe this helped! However the only newer RTR item I have ever had to compair with, was a Wide Vision BN caboose, which I will admit was very sharp and crisp! I sold this and a Blue Box BM GP38-2 that did not fit my era, as I am early 50s Northern Pacific. Even though this caboose was very nice, I still prefer to build car kits, then to buy RTR!
 
Brakie, why not upload a few photos of your engines? They might have life left in them yet. From what I've learned, a lot of Athearn RTR and BB parts are interchangeable.
------------------------------
Here's 2 pictures and a video..These locomotives are still servicable..I'm just retiring them since they're so old and worn.

004-7.jpg


Picture003-7.jpg



The video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVxbqUyLRQ4&feature=related
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They sound like typical BB. They seem to run fine. What's worn? You can keep rebuilding these mechanisms literally forever, so if you like them, keep them running. I did sell most of my BB locos, but only because better models became available, not because anything was wrong with them.
 
The Blue box locos have a giant light bulb inside of them and almost all of them after a certain point of time get louder then hell, also the windshields on the blue boxes dont mold into the frame, if you are going to take the time to tune them, first thing is to get rid of the giant light bulb and put in micro bulbs in the headlight sockets, also if your running DCC, Digitrax makes a decoder specially designed for those old athearn engines. Also Blue box has metal hand rails and the new ready to roll has plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKF7U3ccnco
That link will take you to a video on how to install a decoder in a blue box if would like to do it.

My BB units dont even need sound...they are just about as loud as the prototype!! What I am doing with mine as they are repainted in my own scheme is adding a bunch of details and proper window kits, running fiber optics to the headlights and ditchlights with war white LED's and then installing a soundrtaxx Tsunami decoder for optimal sound and performance. I have heard that the digitrax ones are great for entry level, but they are poor in performance as far as slow speed go...and in my opinion their sound is very tinny also...
 
Alan,There's nothing really wrong with these engines other then their age..I'm sure I could run 'em forever but,I want to "retire" em because they have years of club use and some abuse.The newer RTR fills my current modeling needs better.
I'll soon start construction on a HO Industrial Switching Layout (ISL) and will be using my newer RTR freight cars from Atlas,Athearn,Walthers and ExactRail..

I'll be using this engine..I have added the improved SW1500 drive and cab interior..Yes I have since touched up the paint:

002-35.jpg


And of course:

001-28.jpg
 
I been using RTR circuit boards and light bulbs in my BB units. I isolate the motor from the frame. In the future, I will install plug and play decoders in these units. Earl...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top