Are the E-Z track turnouts really that bad?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Waltr,

You are correct. I have a SPDT switch that just gives it a DC jolt for a moment, then the cap discharges.

How difficult is it to mount the Atlas switch control under the layout?

Thanks for your help.

Ted
 
# 4 looks correct. Now what is the difference between the HO Remote Snap Switch and the HO Manual Snap Switch, other than price? How easy it to mount the remote switch under the layout? I would prefer not to have anything showing on top.

In looking at the two switches, it looks like the only difficult part, if you can call it that, is matching the track pieces for length. Probably would be best to use Code 100 pieces, rather than fool around with the EZ track.
The Atlas remote snap switch has electromagnetic coils in the switch machine enabling it to be operated remotely or manually. The manual snap machine looks the same for the most part but doesn't have the coils and can only be operated manually. On track section lengths the Atlas sectional straight is 9". So is the EZ-Track straight. Same goes for the 18" radius curves. EZ-Track curves are available in 15", 18", 22", 26", 28", 33.25", 35.5". Many curves are available in 1/2 and 1/3 sections. The straight sections are available in 9", 3", 2.5", 4.5" and 36" lengths. Crossings (track crosses itself) come in 60°, 30°, 45°.
 


Just curious, does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of the Atlas True-Track. Specifically in the area of the turnouts. Looks identical to the Bachmann EZ Track. Any comparison, good or bad.

The only thing that I see as a problem is the relay box that appears on the side. Having not held one in my hand, I can't tell if it is removable. Really don't want it on top.

Say what guys?

Ted
 
Jeffrey,

True Track looks identical to the Bachmann EZ Track. So, in your expert opinion, which one would your lean towards in regards to the turnouts, the Code 100 or the True Track?

Have a train show tomorrow, so will take a close look at both. Would like to buy one or the other to see how the transfer would go. Code 100 would be some work, but the True Track looks like it would be just plug n play, if you will.

Ted
 
Are there any operational differences between the EZ and Atlas TT? Kinda on the fence here, and the switch problems push me towards Atlas. Just so long as I get away from the Power-Loc I have already.
 
Atlas True-Track is an integrated roadbed track system which complements their code100 and code 83 offerings. That goes for the turnouts as well. If I had had easy access to the Tru-Track at the start of my layout that's what I would have gone with. Unfortunately there's only one hobby shop within 80 miles and guess what they don't carry. Tru-Track. You can Atlas sectional track and flex track there and maybe a turnout or two. On the other hand they have everything you'd ever want with EZ-Track, a whole wall of stuff. That's where I got 95% of my track. If you have good access to both go with the Tru-Track. It has a better looking roadbed and you'll have the well-proven Atlas turnouts too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any operational differences between the EZ and Atlas TT? Kinda on the fence here, and the switch problems push me towards Atlas. Just so long as I get away from the Power-Loc I have already.
I know nothing of the turntables offered by either company.

However if your question is about their track with roadbed, Bachmann EZ-Track is code 100 only. The Atlas Tru-Track allows use of code 100 and code 83. And I agree that you should get away from the Power-Loc track. I tried it once and in my opinion it's trash.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys. It is none of my business what track you use but you are getting good advice here. I have known Running Bear for many years. He has been using ez-track since before I was born and now I am finishing up my senior year. He knows a lot about it, what it can do, what it cannot do and some quick fixes for the problems. He is giving you very good advice about using Atlas switches instead of the Bachmann ones. While the Bachmann things can be fixed it has a learning curve and you will not figure it out overnight. Thanks to him I have everything I need to start a layout except time. I may get some of that to spare after I finish my school year next month.
 


Running bear, you had a good point though about the EZtrack. They have all sorts of the oddball things you only see once in a while (crossovers, curved turnouts, etc.). While I not necessarily need these oddballs, I love having a variety of options.

But I think I'll be looking more at the Atlas track vs Bachmann track.
 
Good choice. You won't have to battle with the Bachmann turnouts. They can be a pain. That's why I suggest to those who want to use EZ-Track to use Atlas turnouts.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top