anyone know this engine's owner

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


diablo

Brian Heap
The wife and I were in Lordsburg, NM a couple of days ago taking care of her brother who passed away and I spent some time down at the tracks where some switching was going on. This is UP territory, and there were two AC44's sitting with the engines shut down, maroon in color, gray tops, and walkways, and the lettering on the cabs was NMsomething something. I've never seen them before. There were a lot of tank cars there with the roadname, of some mexican railroad, "Grupo Mexico" on them. Does anyone know if these locos came out of Mexico?
 
I don't know any detail , but from your description, those would be mexican...I think the logo would be N de M. There are several Ferromex locos running around in the northwest US right now. I've seen them mixed in with the BNSF locos here in Montana.
 


Engines Owner

This is a Mexican engine. Seen them around Porter, Texas, on more than one occasion. They were talking about them on local radio last year and wanted to talk to people, so I called in and then they acted like they lost interest.

Say I'm new to the forum, Hello everybody from Texas.
 
It could be the leasing company GEXR, they have some SD70ACe's in their roster, but im pretty sure they are in the leasees colors. I suppose an SD70ACe could pass for an AC4400, i guess. Heres a GP unit in GEXR colors.

GEXR_4022.jpg


Could be Ferromex like Jim said
Ferromex4616-TBoylan.jpg
 
It could be the leasing company GEXR, they have some SD70ACe's in their roster, but im pretty sure they are in the leasees colors. I suppose an SD70ACe could pass for an AC4400, i guess. Heres a GP unit in GEXR colors.

GEXR_4022.jpg


Could be Ferromex like Jim said

GEXR stands for Godrich Exeter Railroad it now belongs to Rail America as does the CB&CNS. I haven't been around the Stellarton yard in a long time but 4022 was assigned to the Oxford spur for the longest time I'd guess it may still be there

Cheers
Willis
 
Willis- Yeah i discovered that it wasnt a leasing company right after i posted, i meant to go back and edit it but got caught up in something else :rolleyes:.

Mark- I think you just got it, i forgot about them, nice find.

Did N de M ever have a red and grey paint scheme. Diablo is it possible that the red was actually a faded orange and the grey was actually a faded black? I know its a stretch, but other then Ferromex, KCSM, TFM, and N de M i dont know of any other mexican roads the cross the border.
 


Well, the NdeM ceased to exist in 1998. It was privatized and divided between the KCSM, FerroMex, FerroSur, and Ferrovalle. FerroSur is owned by Grupo Mexico but their engines are a bright green and are rarely, if ever, seen across the border. The only Mexican line that makes sense is FerroMex, especially since they were big buyers of the ES44AC.
 
Those are locos belonging to what is probably the world's largest copper and zinc refining company. It's an outgrowth of the older ASARCO which was dismembered, and a good number of their refining plants ended up in GM's hands. They have also acquired participation in Peru's largest copper mining company.
N de M is no longer an operating company as most of its assets were sold to private investors sometime ago, among them the KCS, which now runs operations in Mexico under the name KCS de Mexico.
 
Do you know what the reporting marks are for this railroad? I haven't been able to find any Mexican line, particularly a mining line, that lists any AC44's on their roster.
 
Should be an ex-CITX SD9043MAC for the Permian Basin Railway's Texas-New Mexico Railroad. The TNM should be stenciled on the locomotive's nose by the road number. The railroad is a wholly owned subsidiary of Iowa Pacific holdings- the same folks who own the Arizona Eastern railroad, which connects to the UP main line at Lordsburg, NM. Road power from these railroads in the Iowa Pacific holdings is moved around to wherever it is needed- so you can see TNMR units on the AZER, etc. In 2008, AZER purchased the Clifton Subdivision which runs from Lordsburg, NM to Clifton, AZ from Union Pacific Railroad. The line serves the Morenci Mine near Clifton, Arizona and interchanges with UP at Lordsburg.

A shot of one of their SD90MACs in action as seen on rrpicturearchives.net-

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1949562
 
Should be an ex-CITX SD9043MAC for the Permian Basin Railway's Texas-New Mexico Railroad. The TNM should be stenciled on the locomotive's nose by the road number. The railroad is a wholly owned subsidiary of Iowa Pacific holdings- the same folks who own the Arizona Eastern railroad, which connects to the UP main line at Lordsburg, NM. Road power from these railroads in the Iowa Pacific holdings is moved around to wherever it is needed- so you can see TNMR units on the AZER, etc. In 2008, AZER purchased the Clifton Subdivision which runs from Lordsburg, NM to Clifton, AZ from Union Pacific Railroad. The line serves the Morenci Mine near Clifton, Arizona and interchanges with UP at Lordsburg.

A shot of one of their SD90MACs in action as seen on rrpicturearchives.net-

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1949562

Thanks and my hunch has been proven knowing only those locos in a maroon paint scheme.
 
I think KCS has a division of the company that is a Mexican railroad so I'm sure they are crossing the boarder often with their equipment. But what would I know being over on the east coast. :D

Dave
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top