Anyone have a ho scale point-to-point?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


turntables

CSX has a turntable at Queensgate yard in Cincinnati KY


Google Western Hills Viaduct Cincinnati OH in google maps

switch to satellite view and zoom in

then look just to the north of the bridge itself.

I watched a loco being turned on this turntable from the Western Hills Viaduct.



They have another at Ashland KY.

Google Mulberry St Raceland KY in google maps

switch to satellite view locate the turntable to the left of Mulberry St and zoom in

Here they are actively using the turntable and exposed roundhouse tracks for loco storage. The roundhouse structure itself is gone, but a more modern building exists is the loco maintenance building fed from the turntable, by 5 tracks.

CSX still uses the turntable and large standing roundhouse for loco maintenance in Nashville TN.

Google CSX Locomotive Shop, Trousdale Drive, Nashville, TN

switch to satellite view and zoom in


NS has a turntable and a roundhouse in Louisville KY in their main yard on the west side of Louisville 15 bays still standing three with tracks going into them.

Google Hardin St, Louisville, KY in google maps

switch to satellite view locate the roundhouse south (below) the horizontal tracks in the image and zoom in


these are just the ones I have been to in the last decade.


As an aside, at the upper right hand is a box with map/satellite and below that is a drop down box with several click-able options. The one you will want to try in the one that says 45 degrees. This takes the image from a true overhead to a 45 degree view allowing much more detail in the view.

The 45 degree view also allows different views of the same object

On the upper left corner of the image window, there is a circle with four arrows, these arrows allow you to move the image frame around to center the item you want to look at.

As you zoom in a circle with the letter N appears, by moving the letter N from 12 o'clock to 3,6,9 you get four different views of the structures.

In the Louisville Roundhouse views, a loco appear in the roundhouse with the N at 12 o'clock, on the turntable at both 3 and 9 o'clock positions, and between the turntable and roundhouse at the 6 o'clock position.

hope this helps.
 
push pull

you could also use the push pull method with an engine on each end or have a caboose on the train for back up moves i have seen main line back up moves over 2 miles with no caboose just a crewmember riding the last( first) car.
 
I'm building an 8ft x 2 ft end-to-end layout with a turn table at one end.
Check my build thread for details.
 


I have a 12' x 4' layout and let me just tell you that it is much better to have a pt-to-pt IMHO. My oval is fun and I am enjoying learning scenery but it is not what I would choose again. Good luck deciding and enjoy!

I agree with your assessment. Never again, with the oval. Point to point is the way to go for operation and access.
 
I love the concept of point to point operation, but I do like to keep the option of continuous run...sometimes people just want to watch trains run.
 
I love the concept of point to point operation, but I do like to keep the option of continuous run...sometimes people just want to watch trains run.

Currently, on my layout, I can run point to point, out and back and continuous run. I now prefer to run my local freight point to point on some days, and out and back on other days. There is only one siding that can be served either way. Passenger trains run from Point A to Point C.

When I was working, I used to come home and un-wind by, going to the basement, running a train continuously on a loop, and lifting weights. Now, I prefer to drill sidings like I used to do for real.

I love to watch trains just run.
 
I have always had switching or pt-pt layouts. Since I was a kid in grade 5 I never liked the oval. Yes it's what I started out with and for the first couple years it was 'ok', but not realistic enough for me. From a young age I was obsessed with realism and acuracy and I knew of no real railways that went in circles!

Currently I have an around the room pt-pt with a wye in the middle to service an industrial area. Rarely is it used for turning locos or trains but can be used for such if required.

It runs about 31 feet presently (another 30-35 to be added later) in total end to end with various sidings and stubs that require services. Generally track is flat as I model a prairie environment. As for loco positioning, I always run pairs so as long as you can separate the units and get them back to the head end for the return trip, there's no worries. However being a freelance shortline, we have some odd runnning practices too. Such as running trains in reverse with a caboose (yes we still use them) on the head end for safety and guidance. Often times also the locos just run back alone as there is not a lot of traffic on our line. More like a twice weekly train - one way in, the other way out with locos returning to home yard for the week.

I would have it no other way. It is very enjoyable and relaxing to fiddle around and move a few cars whenever wherever and when you reach the end of the line you know your done the job and not "running around in circles" doing nothing in particular!

Most of my line is scenic rather than industrialised, as I very much enjoy the wide open prairie spaces I live in and so choose to see them on my railway as well.
 
You could say that I'm running point to loop. You can see what I'm talking about in the schematic below.
All trains are made up/tore down in the yard at Selma. Then depending on which one it is, will determine how far out it goes. While right now I have a "loop" for continuous running, as shown by the dashed line, in the current op scheme and that track acts as another "staging yard" for one specific train, my Crescent Limited.

My thought is, when the train is coming in from the left side of the schematic it will need a helper, because that train is on a grade, and is heavy. The prototype SRR used 2-10-2's and 2-8-8-2's as helpers on their heavy trains up grades. Can I really justify holding a heavy helper like a 2-10-2 at Burnsville for use as a helper, for use only once every other session, or should I go ahead and cut the loop out, using one of the other staging yards to hold it, and not use a helper at all?

If I do cut it out, it will make the Crescent appear to come into town, and leave the way it came each time. Instead of appearing to be eastbound one day, and westbound the next. What ya think???

ACRRSchematic.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very interesting question. After having thought about it, I started thinking about the prototype. Right here where I live, the BNSF and MRL has to deal with Bozeman Pass. An eastbound train meets a set of helpers who have come over the pass from Livingstion, MT which will help the train eastbound over the pass back to Livingston, where MRL has a yard. A westbound train will pick up the helpers in Livingston which will either be cut off at the top of the pass, or as in most cases, stay with the train to help with braking and cut off in Bozeman, and either wait for an eastbound train to help or just go back over the pass to Livingston. There are no engine facilities in Bozeman, just a passing siding for the helpers to cut off and get out of the was of the main line. The same was true years ago when steam was still being used. The question for you is do you want or need the loop ?

I can remember riding on the Northern Pacific's Z-5 Yellowstones when I was a kid. Helper service over Bozeman Pass was the last duties for many of these monster locomotives before they were scrapped.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good point about the braking, but the SRR didn't use too many helpers for additional braking, unless there happened to be a train waiting to go downgrade, as it arrived going upgrade. It really depended on how long and steep the grade was.

This track is a "one trick pony", just holding a named passenger train. I've been thinking that the grade "needs" the helper, but since almost all of it's hidden scenically, it wouldn't be seen, so why have it?
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top