Anyone doing 3D printing?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I've been looking at 3d printing for years. Generally, it only makes sense for items you want to mass produce, either to sell, or for use as modular components.

So far the price has kept me from exploring it seriously.
 


Nvrr49, those are some impressive models. Care to explain what the design process was, in terms of both the computer work (which I assume was the first step) and then the physical production?
 
reply to John P

I do the drawings in Google Sketchup, which is a free download, export the drawing as a 3d file, and upload it to Shapeways.com. They ship the model in about three weeks.

Okay, that is the simple version. More, much more, later this evening, after pizza.

Kent in KC
nvrr49.blogspot.com
 
I use Google SketchUp. I got the idea from an article in the NMRA Magazine. It IS addictive. I have a drafting background, that predates computers, but I did take a computer drafting class at Missouri Southern back in the 1990's. In my opinion, SketchUp is easy to learn, and they have GREAT video tutorials. All for FREE. The free version has some limitations, but I have not found anything that I could not work around. SketchUp has a help forum if you need help at any time.

Generally, I draw in full size, then shrink the item to 1/87th scale. I have drawn many thing in 1/87 scale, and personally, I like drawing in metric when I am working from a real part that I have in my hand. I find it easier to work with using a caliper.

Kent in KC
nvrr49.blogspot.com
 
Yes, most of the details I make have small enough cross-sections, that using the FUD (Frosted Ultra Detail) material is the only way to go.

Kent in KC
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top