Anybody do contract layout work?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


PIN DR

Member
All,

Does anyone on the forum do contract layout work? I think I'd be willing to pay for someone to design a track layout for me. The idea would be for me to identify what I have for space, desires for switching, main line(s), etc. (in multiple emails) and then have the person design and draw the layout plan and identify the needed track, parts, etc. Not looking for specific buildings or scenery, just the track plan and then perhaps, some guidance on wiring, etc.

While I am confident I can build the model and do the scenery, I do not have experience with railroad operations and want to start out with a solid plan. I've looked at dozens of plans in books, but none of them seem to fit my specific needs and I am antsy about modifying an existing plan without really knowing what I am doing.

If you are interested, please PM me and we can talk. [email protected]

Jeff
 
Wow, I'm sure he is very good (the website looks like he is), but his rate for even small layouts apparently starts at $600! At least that is what it says, although it also says to contact him to get a quote. Way above my head for a hobby layout that I just want to have some fun with. I'll probably run the basic info past him, but I sure can't afford that.

Jeff
 


I did indeed consider doing that and probably will, but I didn't want to impose on others without offering something in return, particularly if someone had to put some special effort into it (as opposed to being nice enough to point me to an existing plan that might work). I used to be on a forum for pinball folks where I was happy to help out whenever I could, but being so new at model railroading, I'm afraid I don't have much to offer and feel a bit guilty about calling on others to bail me out. I'll get my thoughts together and do a posting and see if anyone wants to help out. Thanks!

Jeff
 
Jeff,
Draw out something you like for the space you have.
Post a picture and you will get all the advice you will need.
The folks here are very pleasant about telling you that you are headed in the wrong direction or leaving something important out.
I am a total newbie here and I have gotten many good suggestions on my layout about what was not correct or what more was needed.

Don't worry about getting "bailed out". Your turn will come to help a newbie some time.

Dale
 
I'm pretty sure the person mentioned above (Byron Henderson) is a member here (he may have already seen this thread). So given your needs and what you would like to spend, do your best to come up with a basic plan yourself, post it, and maybe you'll get a comment/suggestion or recommendation of a similar, existing plan from him (in addition to what everyone else offers).
 
Actually, one of the plans he provides on his website for free may be one that could be adapted for the space I have in mind and what I would like to do. I hope to make up a drawing of the space I have (or at least envision) and post that and note which one of his plans looks adaptable and see if any of the creative folks here can comment on that idea. It may take me a while to get it together, so stay tuned. Thanks!

Jeff
 
It's a little hard to tell from your posts what your current level of experience is -- have you built a layout before? How familiar are you with laying flex track, maybe adding elevation risers, and so forth. On top of that, what kind of railroading appeals to you most? What do you look for if you go out to watch trains? Any thoughts on prototype railroads you like? This is the sort of thing you would want to work out for yourself before you seriously thought about paying someone to design a layout. On the other hand, if you're fairly new to the hobby, it might be worth looking at published simple plans just to get started, get something running, and begin to find out what sides of the hobby appeal to you most. My guess is that there are plenty of members here who could at least point you in the general direction if you're able to explain your interests and experience.
 
Make sure you include things like windows, doors, etc. Also provide more information about what kind of layout you want. Modern era double stack trains running through desert scenery, or 1940s steam engines with mountains. How many trains you want to run at the same time, need for a rail yard, etc.
 
Let me just vouch for the friendly and thoughtful advice you can get here. My track plan has really benefited from feedback I got here over the last couple of months. And I will add I didn't take every suggestion I got, but I did take all of them into serious consideration.

From the DairyStatePhone
 


OK, here’s my story and what I have in mind…feel free tomove on to another thread if I am boring you to death…
I do not have any experience modeling railroads, but haveworked with model cars and the like in the past. I also have extensive experience in restoringpinball machines, both electro-mechanical and solid state. I did that for 40 years and am fully versedin both the mechanical and cosmetic parts of that hobby. Last year, I sold off my collection andretired from the restoration biz because it was just getting to be a bit muchto be hauling 230 pound pinball machines around the planet. So, I have been looking for another moreleisurely hobby and model railroading really appeals to me.

I have read a ton, both in books and on-line, have watcheddozens of “how to” videos and have thought a great deal about what I would liketo do. Here is a list of what I havecome up with:

I have a space that is 10 feet long and 6 feet wide. It is a corner space of a square workshop, sosome sort of L shaped benchwork would seem to make sense. I don’t want to attach anything to the walls,so something free standing is in order. I could build it on wheels for complete access to the back for scenerybuilding if need be.

I want to model in HO scale. Being absolutely historically correct is notessential. I would like double main linesto run a passenger train and a freight train at the same time. Diesel engines. Modeling something similar to the SouthDakota Black Hills/Deadwood area so I can do some mountains, bridges, tunnelsand the like. The freight line wouldserve a mining operation.

While not super into switching operations, I would like asmall switch yard and, as mentioned above, a spur for a mining operation. I also plan a small town with a train stationfor the trains to run through. As manyheight changes as I can comfortably have and the longest runs I can have wouldbe great. DCC of course.

I am confident I can build the benchwork, the track layoutand the scenery. I am very patient andhave the skills. I just need a goodstarting plan for the track layout. Iwill be going to Trainfest next weekend to try and get ideas to help me planthis out. But, I suspect, for the mostpart, they will be layouts much larger than what I will be doing.

Thoughts?

Jeff
 
Sorry for all the spacing issues in the previous post. I wrote the posting in Word and when I pasted it into the forum it messed up all the spacing. Thanks Windoze!

Jeff
 
OK, here’s my story and what I have in mind…feel free tomove on to another thread if I am boring you to death…
So, I have been looking for another moreleisurely hobby and model railroading really appeals to me.

I have read a ton, both in books and on-line, have watcheddozens of “how to” videos and have thought a great deal about what I would liketo do. Here is a list of what I havecome up with:

.

.



I am confident I can build the benchwork, the track layoutand the scenery. I am very patient andhave the skills. I just need a goodstarting plan for the track layout. Iwill be going to Trainfest next weekend to try and get ideas to help me planthis out. But, I suspect, for the mostpart, they will be layouts much larger than what I will be doing.

Thoughts?

Jeff


Hey Jeff,

It is neat to have you on here! If none of the experts pipe in with a plan I will put something on. Don't worry about taking our time, the reason we are here is to put our time to use!

Good Luck! logandsawman
 
Here are my initial thoughts, Jeff -- and to start with the big disclaimer that there are many people here with a lot more expertise. But I've been thinking about this stuff for three decades, so I hope I have something to offer.

1) If you haven't already, give "track plans for realistic operation" a read-through. A lot of the specific plans in that book do tend toward the "bowl of spaghetti" look although they are very thoughtfully constructed. But the principles in the book are timeless.

2) Chief among those principles, to my thinking, as Armstrong's prescription of weighing your "givens and druthers" -- which you're already doing informally.

For instance--Givens:
I have a space that is 10 feet long and 6 feet wide. It is a corner space of a square workshop, so some sort of L shaped benchwork would seem to make sense. I don’t want to attach anything to the walls,so something free standing is in order. I could build it on wheels for complete access to the back for scenery building if need be.

Druthers:
Being absolutely historically correct is notessential. I would like double main linesto run a passenger train and a freight train at the same time. Diesel engines. Modeling something similar to the SouthDakota Black Hills/Deadwood area so I can do some mountains, bridges, tunnelsand the like. The freight line wouldserve a mining operation.

While not super into switching operations, I would like asmall switch yard and, as mentioned above, a spur for a mining operation. I also plan a small town with a train stationfor the trains to run through. As manyheight changes as I can comfortably have and the longest runs I can have would be great. DCC of course.

3) For more ideas go and buy "101 Model RR Track Plans" by Linn Westcott and "101 more Model RR Track plans" by Jeff Wilson.

Also, get a hold of a special issue MR put out about 4 years ago on "102 Realistic Track plans."

You will not find a perfect plan in any of these. But the more you see, the more ideas you can get about what appeals to you. These 3 books have a wide variety of ideas and arrangements. Another one is coming out this month from MR: , "103 Realistic track plans" and I suspect it will also have some.

I've already *finally* settled on my plan, but I can't stop looking at and thinking about other plan ideas. Not that I'm going to build them, but I just find this aspect of the hobby especially fascinating.

Also, a Model Railroader mag subscription gives you access to the magazine's growing online database of track plans, all of them downloadable PDFs.

4) You do not need to attach to the walls, but I'd suggest you go for a walk-in or similar design with some of the layout against those corner walls, instead of an Island approach, with areas no more than 2 feet deep unless they are accessible from both sides.

5) I've always thought a really good general schematic for people who like to mix big main lines and small branch line operations in a relatively small space is to use one portion of the layout to model a snippet of a main line through a major stop (that also gives you your switching yard and your station). The rest of that main can be fairly simple (and much of it hidden) and complete a full circuit. That way you get to see trains run when that appeals to you. Then your mining branch occupies the other portion of the layout (and probably goes over some of that hidden main line). I still have a copy of the April 1970 MR that has that sort of plan and that I think could be a very successful design. (Just doesn't happen to be my particular taste.) And it's just one of very, very many.

Now I'll shut up and let those with a lot more experience -- not just decades of theory :) -- chime in.

And welcome!!!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top