ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Ok normally I never have a continuous run on my layouts but would like to incorporate one on my next attempt. I have 2'x8' area to work with and would like to have a stagging area with a 2 stall engine house. My problem with continuous runs are lack of realism in small spaces. Anyone got some layout suggestions you could provide? Is 2' wide enough or should I try 3'. I have an entire bedroom but with the constant moving I don't want to go too large.
It might be really tight to the border, unless you use small radius track. What I would recommend to you is to make an L-shaped layout. Make each leg it's own section and have them be removable if necessary. Then all you would have to do it cut the track at the board joint and the two sections can be moved. You will get a lot more out of your train, and it will add in some of the realism you are missing. You could have the train duck into a tunnel that runs behind the scenes if you want to go back to the point to point feel, while still retaining the continuous loop you want.
If you can add just one foot to each end, you can do a folded dogbone layout and have enough room for 15" curves with plenty of room for clearance on both sides of the curve. As AyTrane said, you can use things like tunnels, ranges of hills, or even downtown buildings to hide the loop and make the train disappear for a bit before it comes into view again.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)