Any Connection Between (Your) Age and Choice of N or HO?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


The only issue I have with N scale is that sometimes I have trouble getting the train on the track.

I'm only 34 and age/physical limitations never even crossed my mind when I started in the hobby 8 months ago.
 
For me age certainly has something to do with it and I would suspect for others who have worked hard with their hands for a living age will play a part as well.

Twenty years ago my arthritis was just beginning, but I could have worked with N scale then. The repair of my N scale steam locomotive 14 months ago proved to me that my arthritis has progressed to the point that N scale is too small for my hands now. Like I said earlier I managed to get it fixed. but it took me 10 times longer then I estimated it should have and my hands talked back to me for days. That is unacceptable to me.
 


On the subject of scale... I began my "model railroading career" when Grandpa and Grandma bought me an American Flyer "S" gauge set when I was four. A cousin and I were the only ones I knew who had American Flyer -- most of my friends had Lionel, and a couple had Marx, and they were still great fun to play with. Then Dad and Mom got me my first "HO" scale train set when I was about six and a half. I loved the way they looked so realistic compared to the "S" and "O" gauge trains. At first, I did have problems with "HO" -- the engines and rolling stock were much less forgiving of "bad trackwork" (very common for a young lad of 6-, 7- and 8-years-old!), and those darned horn-hook couplers gave me fits! But as I grew, my hands adapted to working with the smaller scale, and my American Flyer got played with less and less, until they basically got boxed up and put away. At the same time in my life, most of my friends who continued "model railroading" moved into "HO" scale as well, so all was fine...

By the time "N" gauge came out, I was fully entrenched in "HO". I did consider going into "N", just for the extra space I would gain going to a smaller scale and the longer trains I could run. But there were three major factors against switching scales: 1) I had SO much invested in "HO" already, 2) there were relatively limited choices in what was available in "N" scale, and 3) -- and I mean no offense to all the "N" scale folks, but my 20+ years of model railroading in "S" and "HO" (comparatively larger scales) made "N" scale look toy-like to me. I apologize to the "N" scale folks who I might be insulting; I've seen some beautiful work done in "N" scale... but my more-than-somewhat-inflexible mind seems to have been locked on to my early impressions and perceptions of "N" scale as being "too small".

Now as I approach the later years of my life, I've begun to think about moving to "S" or "O" scale; I'm starting to have trouble with arthritis, shaking hands, and deteriorating eyesight, and I'm finding frustation with the difficulty I've had adapting to my physical skills declining. The vision I can "fix" with a magnifying headset and good light -- but the other two are becoming more problematic, especially the shaking hands. I've learned how to brace my hands at the workbench so I can still do some finer detail work. But that "trick" isn't available when I'm not at my workbench and instead working directly on a layout. As an aside, I do have a doctor's appointment coming up, and the shaking hands will definately be a topic of discussion. I'm not a coffee nor a soda pop drinker, so I can't blame caffiene... Well, we'll see how things go. But honestly, I am afraid for the day when my physical skills will not allow me to enjoy model railroading in my current preference for "HO" scale. Nor do I want to give up my 50+ years of acquiring and operating my "HO" scale trains and start all over in a larger scale.

Drat!

Regards,
Tom Stockton
 
Detailing sure does make a difference when you get older. 20 plus years ago I detailed and custom painted a fleet of Alcos for my layout. I could detail one out in about a hald an hour of less. Painting was rather easy too. I also custom painted a bunch of Athearn Blue Box kits which started out as undecorated kits. It would take me no time at all to get the lettering done. Painting a weathering was a snap too. Now that I am in my 60's, it ain't as easy any more. I find that a set of magnifiers is a necessity. I about went nuts detailing a locomotive a while ago. Took a few hours do do a job that used to take minutes. I'll stay with my HO scale trains.
 
Is Z scale smaller, tiny even more than N? Have HO on the layout and will stay with it. I have not seen Z scale, do I need a magnify glass to see it?
 
Is Z scale smaller, tiny even more than N? Have HO on the layout and will stay with it. I have not seen Z scale, do I need a magnify glass to see it?

Z is smaller then N by nearly 30%

N scale is 1:160

Z scale is 1:220

I don't know how good your eyes are, but I need my glasses and a magnifying glass to see N scale!

HO is a good choice if for no other reason then all the HO things that are available, much more then any other scale.

I have one N scale train set and I would love to have Z as well, but they are both too small for me at this point in my life.
 
Even if I still had the eyesight and agility I had during my mid-twenties, I would stay with HO - mostly because of all the money and time I have already invested into this scale. It has taken 25 years for me to accumulate what I currently have since I re-entered the hobby.
 


Ya know Louis, I've been told that there are 3 smaller scales than HO. IDK, I just can't see it.

Hey again!

I did some research and once again you are correct sir! I failed to mention T scale.

T Scale = 1:450 to represent standard gauge and 1:480 to represent Japanese narrow gauge. introduced at the Tokyo Toy Show in 2006 by Eishindo of Japan.

That is just way to small for me.
 
Hey Stoker!

I believe you are the only one to bring up On30, as our Aussie friends would say "good on ya mate!"

That reminds me, in another thread, that I could not find. You had mentioned the OGR forum having recommended it to an O gauge railroader in search of information. Well knowing you and your sound advice I checked it out.

It is a fantastic source for Lionel information as well as other O gauge information. I looked for the other thread to thank you, but as I said I could not find it so I am taking the opportunity to thank you before I forget again.

I still prefer this forum for the great people on it and my knowledge of HO is limited, but for information about my first train passion, Lionel OGR is fantastic!

Thank you for all your help over these months I have been on here.
 
I know your talking about, I am with you, I wish him well too. I feel sorry for the guy. I am glad to hear he is still alive and he has not imploded. A bit unstable to say the least.

I will look for you, clever name! I am just Bruette over there too. Although I still spend most of my time on here, I just like the people better here.
 
Is Z scale smaller, tiny even more than N? Have HO on the layout and will stay with it. I have not seen Z scale, do I need a magnify glass to see it?

Depends on your eyesight. I need reading glasses (150's), and can see Z-scale...and ants crawling around. You might need a magnifying glass, but not an electron microscope! :rolleyes:
 
I got a real shock last year, little black and red ants crawling on me. I was sitting on my favorite lounge chair and didn't notice them until they were on my arms. I tell you I could see them then with my TV glasses on, better with my readers on. I had stepped on their "trail" from the trash can by the chair to the kitchen. On the floor they were amost invisible, I grabbed a big magnifying glass on the kitchen counter and there they were. I saw them once, gave the whole trail a zap with Raid and swept where I figured they were a couple of hours later. Taught me a lesson, empty the living room trash.

I'm sticking with HO guys, I can see it OK still. I have good memories I can face now, and it's time to come back. In my mind trains were a part of my divorce, financially they were to be sure. It took me over ten years to shake off the pain. Now it's a fun, and nearly brand new.
 
In my 20's I had the space to model in HO Scale and I had quite a collection. My favorite aspects of the hobby is scenery and structures and HO had tons of options when it came to structures. Walthers had begun producing numerous kits at the time so it was quite an exciting time to be in the hobby.

Now I'm 39 and re entering the hobby after a decade away. Because of space limitations I find myself going to N Scale for obvious reasons. The layout area I have been graciously allowed to have by my wife is a shelf type layout of only 2 feet wide by 5 feet long. As much as I would LOVE to do something in HO scale and get back to those highly detailed structures I love to build and customize I simply can't do it any justice with the very limited space I have to work with.

So even though I would prefer to model in HO I will just have to see what I can do in N. Sure I won't be able to build some highly detailed models like before but at least I can still enjoy the scenery aspect of it.
 


Not sure if I read every post here, but in the ones I did read there was no mention of On30. You get the benefits of HO track space requirements
Or Sn3 for that matter.

I simply decided that where my fictional line was built they had an abundance of small trees, so they used more closely spaced smaller ties.
One tree per tie huh? That is too funny. I think that will make me smile all day long.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top