ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hello
I recently listed an antique railroad bell, very large brass or bronze one on eBay for sale. I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me specifically what train it would have been on or if there is a way for me to tell? I have had a few requests asking this and am not sure how to tell or offer more info. Any help is appreciated very much guys. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140882762572
Being an old codger I can't recall a locomotive bell being that large, maybe 1/2 that size at most and certainly not over 100 lbs. Ship's bell probably, but then again the ship's name would be on the bell. Just an opinion
Cheers
Willis
I agree. Even if it were the right size the only way to know it actually was (is) a R.R. item would be official (or in some way undeniable) documentation.
Without a recorded provenance or some identifying marks it's impossible to know the facts.
In my experience, a ship's bell is mounted to a vertical surface in a fixed position. The clapper had an eye cast on the bottom to attach a rope lanyard and the lanyard was pulled sideways to ring the bell.
Also the clapper appears to be made of a ferrous metal, something I have never seen on a ship's bell.