Another WTH Ebay Moment

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I don't disagree w you, and I think ultimately IM will beat them to the newer versions of the gevos. But there is a video by MRH hobbyist mag released the other day on YouTube where the interview the vp of product development at Athearn where he alludes to the tower 55 retool after mentioning the ac4400 foobies.

I've seen the video. He alludes to the fact that Athearn will come out with some form of Genesis GEVO in the future based on the T55 tooling, but doesn't say whether they will be the heritage locos.

As far as "foobies" are concerned, Intermountain is also getting in on it by releasing the ES44AC in "Fallen Flag" schemes because there is a demand for them. Is that not just "cashing in" as well?

Yep.
 


So I think I'm gonna list a Super Duper Rare Impossible to Find Boley on eBay tomorrow and see If I can make some money! That wouldn't be messed up would it?
 
So I think I'm gonna list a Super Duper Rare Impossible to Find Boley on eBay tomorrow and see If I can make some money! That wouldn't be messed up would it?

The rule of a fair price for anything is; what a willing buyer is prepared to pay a willing seller on/at any given time. So give it a go.
 
quiet a mixed breed of people. Golfers, asians building a railway, clowns, photogs and a guy dropping a duece in the outhouse. LOL
 
Maybe it was done by a model railroaders wife after he left it to her in his will, and this was her way of expressing what she thought about it.
 
Just a thought about Ebay.....


My favorite funny thing on Ebay when it comes to especially model locomotives and cars is that the item is listed as : New, Unused, UNOPENED etc etc.....

And the thing is out of the box, protective plastic and or foam all removed and sitting right on top of the box!

Well, maybe it's just Ebay having less grading options!
 


And virtually every brass piece is listd as "rare" even when they are as common as church mice! :D

Still, on locos and cars, most, including yours truly will not bid without good photos of the item. I once passed on several brass freight cars of an obscure type because all the lister showed was the car in the box covered in tissue paper. If I can't see what I'm buying, I'm not buying! Remember that old saying about a pig in a poke?
 
I agree about photos of the actual item, I don't mind something being removed for photographing, much prefer it, seeing most sellers say the pics are part of the description.

What is needed is for the seller to state that it has only been removed for that purpose and then returned to the box. A simple precaution.
 
Espeefan said:

Still, on locos and cars, most, including yours truly will not bid without good photos of the item. I once passed on several brass freight cars of an obscure type because all the lister showed was the car in the box covered in tissue paper. If I can't see what I'm buying, I'm not buying! Remember that old saying about a pig in a poke?

I agree, but I suppose Ebay, like tootnkumin said it should just say New, unused and opened up for description and that's sensible. Not New, unused, UNOPENED.......and in the picture.......it is opened.

That said: I remember a fellow model railroader purchase a locomotive from Ebay a year or so back in which the description was New, unused , unopened AND new in box, only to find out on receiving it had been used: tell tale marks on wheels been run, motor contacts showed ware and tare etc.....

Well, since it ran well, he decided to keep it anyway.........and not fuss about it!
 
It's true what you are saying. Those with a true appreciation of the rarity of an item usually are experts on the amount of them in existence.

Here is a truly RARE Item!!


http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Merc-S...393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2321d11ae1


I always was under the impression that the first Mercury was in 1939 .

I have no idea who Ron Cash was but this seller has a bunch of cars he supoposedly built and is asking upwards of a hundred bucks for each!
 
I have a large collection of Danbury Mint, West Coast Precision Diecast and Franklin Mint cars and this price is not out of line. If it were HO scale, that would be anther thing.
 
I have a large collection of Danbury Mint, West Coast Precision Diecast and Franklin Mint cars and this price is not out of line. If it were HO scale, that would be anther thing.


These were NOT diecast FM or DBM type --they were 1/25 plastic or resin kits. The guy had several for sale some at 170 plus. I have FM and DBM cars too.
 
There's an Auroro gas station kit w/a 7 minute closing right now for $399.00 plus $10.00 frt. better not pass that up. I bought one at a yard sale 2 weeks ago for 50 cents.
 
Here is a truly RARE Item!!


http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Merc-S...393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2321d11ae1


I always was under the impression that the first Mercury was in 1939 .

I have no idea who Ron Cash was but this seller has a bunch of cars he supoposedly built and is asking upwards of a hundred bucks for each!

I'm pretty sure it's a '39 Ford convertible. As the seller is not the late Ron Cash I suppose they can be forgiven for the mistake (if it is an honest one). Still a beautiful model and I would think worth the price.

Just as well it's 1/24th or Luvtoscratch would want it for a wrecker :p
 
I'm pretty sure it's a '39 Ford convertible. As the seller is not the late Ron Cash I suppose they can be forgiven for the mistake (if it is an honest one). Still a beautiful model and I would think worth the price.

Just as well it's 1/24th or Luvtoscratch would want it for a wrecker :p


Hey Toot !! Ya really think I am that mean?? :o Naaaa -- I would not wreckerize a nice 1/24 car --- :rolleyes: they take up too much room!!

It is a 39 Ford. ;)

I have a bunch of unbuilt 1/24---- 1/25 plastic cars dating from the 60's , none of the cars later than a 1953 model ( thats a Studebaker ) the rest are all 28 to 50 cars-- :)
never wrecked them when I built them , hotrodded a bunch tho.:p

Building 1/24 cars in the early 70's is what prompted me to never enter model building contests ( except 1 model RR type I had already been in and won)
There was the first IPMS ( I think that was the name) international contest being held in Las Vegas , I decided to build a couple of cars for it. I decided on an AMT 1/24 37 Chev ragtop and a 36 Ford 3 window. Worked on the things for 3 months , scratch built a GMC blown six cyl. Jimmie truck motor for the Chev, opened the hood louvres on both cars hoods , hinged the hoods properly on both cars, had opening doors on both , built brass and silver see thru stock type grilles for both cars, scratch built Ardun heads for the flat head in the chopped top 36, in short built what I thought would be prize perfect models.
The Chev. got 2nd and the 36 3rd place-- the winner was a BOX STOCK 34 Ford California Kid model ( from that movie that was hot right then. !) This car was built in a motel room the night before ---- IT did have a very nice paint job -- I will give it that.
I could not understand how that happened till I overheard the judges talking , one saying that "it was easy to see that the winning car was So and sos just by the excellent paint and that he ALWAYS wins " ! :mad:
That smarted bad enough, but the crowning touch was when MR WINNER came over and asked how I had put valve stems in the wheels on my cars and how do you build door hinges like that an how --how--- how-- and where did the Arduns come from? I decided then and there --NO MORE contests!
Remember this was the days BEFORE scale model auto mags and aftermarket parts , A short time (Year or so later) after market parts began to appear -- one item was a set of Ardun heads -- my heads were the pattern for those.

Dave
 
Last edited by a moderator:


If y'all want to see some crazy stuff, especially prices, you should start looking at First Gear trucks, and Texaco airplanes and trucks on Ebay. If I am going to pay $500 for a die cast truck, it had better be able to make coffee for me in the morning.:eek:
I've seen a few trucks that would be $100 trucks, have decals placed on them to make them appear to be the higher-dollar variants. They look great in photos, until you get the thing in the mail...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top