Another Washington state modeler

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


skillman

Member
Hi to all
Been lurking around here for several years now but I'm thinking of starting back into model railroading. I was very serious about my modeling for about 25 years but got into other hobbies after a move. I'm thinking about building a couple of small layouts. On30 and a standard gauge HO logging layout. All my stuff is probably considered antique now. It should prove interesting.

Steve
 


Steve, I live on the Yelm Hwy by the search an rescue station.
Been here over 30 years now. Which hobby shop did you have? There
has so many come and gone it is hard for me to keep track of them.
Some time when you are going to be in the neighberhood stop in

Dean
9020 Yelm Hwy SE
 
Dean
P.M. sent.
In years gone by I was involved with the Lewis County MR Club and the Tacoma Mall Railroad Show. So many of the old MR buddies have moved or are gone. Was going through boxes in the shops today and actually found that much of my old s--t is still waiting to be used. The mice have destroyed many boxes and magazines but most is still good.

Steve
 
Hi Steve. I'm a narrow gauge logging fanatic and have been for 40 years. Unfortunately, I lost everything I own in a fire a few years ago and do all my railroading virtually, now.
My web site holds some of my virtual models.
http://allricksstuff.com/

:-)
 
Hey, I'm down in Vancouver. I'll need to checkout the layout in Lacey sometime. Sounds like it could be pretty good.

Welcome to the forum!
 
Gary, Yes I have been over there. I saw it when it was first started, it must have been 20 years or so, and was there a couple of weeks ago again.
They have really done alot in a short period of time.
Seems to be a great group of guys there too. Even though it is a great layout I am into N-Scale althought I enjoy going over there ever so often.:D:D

Dean
 


So Gary
Where is this layout located? We used to have a layout in the basement of the Thurston County Fairgrounds. Not a good location and not a very good layout. It needed to be torn down and rebuilt somewhere else. Only in a much more refined fashion.
Any of you Washingtonians know if there are still any Mall shows? They used to run from Sept. to May all up and down the I-5 corridore.
Any of you planning on attending the National Narrow Gauge Convention in Sept. in Bellview? I was there in 94 and it was a great time. I see that several of my old friends are giving clinics. I also see that we lost Brian Ellerby of Evergreen Styrene. I shall really miss him and his great Sn3 layout.

Steve
 
Welcome to the forums, Steve. This is a great place as you seem to already have discovered! Looks like it's shaping up to be the state of Washington against the world!:p
 
Nah Bob, It's just that Washington is a big state with a lot of modelers. At least it used to have a lot of modelers. I've been busy this evening getting back in touch with some of the "usual suspects" and finding out who's still around. Sadly, more than a few are no longer with us. Guess it's time to make new friends.

Steve
 
Steve, the layout is still at the Thurston County fairground but has been rebuilt a while ago and apparently is larger than it used to be. I'm not a member yet but have been there a few times. Its pretty nice and the guys seem great.


---Gary
 
Gary
I was going through my pictures and found pictures of the old basement railroad at the fairgrounds. I'll try to digitize them and post them sometime. Also found some pictures of my old "now destroyed" 4 x 8 layout. I'll try to post them as well.
To all the rest of you, that's why I'm here. To make new friends!!! Thanks guys.


Steve
 
Another new guy here. JP from Vancouver, WA.
I got a Christams present in 1958 it's all I have left of my ho layout of 40odd years ago, but I'm thinking about get into it again. The winters are long, wet, & gray and now I'm retired. I have a 24 X 36 shop that looks pretty bare now that I've gotten out of the race car stuff.

I'll be starting over from 0 and have a lot to catch up on....or on to not the least of which is where to find goodies in the Portland/Vancouver area.:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Hey JP. I'm an ex racer guy myself. I think you'll be surprised how many of us in Model Railroading have other hobbies in our pasts. I started this when I was about 7. Seems to be one of the constants in my life. Always seem to come back. Welcome to the forum. It's great.

Steve
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top