Another newb who should know better

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Aaron, steam era -vs- modern diesel era - that's quite a contrast! The architecture is totally different between the two; and, if you plan on running 6-axle locos, you'll need wider-radius curves. Might be a bit of a challenge if you're short on space.

I'm planning on just a "back and forth" set up rather than a circular set up. Like this...

11013.jpg


Just not as chaotic. :D

I only have about 12"-24" of depth to work with (haven't measured it yet). I want to keep it flush with the wall. That's why I was thinking of making this something completely separate and different from my original idea. That way I could have two different Era displays.

In your present situation (i.e. before you get your Dream House), I think the Transition era would be the way to go. Car lengths were shorter, 4-axle diesels were the norm while there was still some steam power to be found, there were many small businesses still shipping by rail, and all sorts of cool-looking structures (like coaling towers and water tanks) that had dissappeared by the time 3rd-generation diesels came out. And you could model C&O since it still existed back then.

Just a few thoughts, hope I didn't confuse you even more...!:D

No you didn't confuse me at all... matter of fact... you got me thinking even more. I think I'll do exactly what you said. I'll set it up so that it can be linked to my original design and be incorporated into that layout when we move. I may still do farm industry though. That way it has some sort of transition from the "hills" to the mid-west farms, similar to the eastern Ohio I'm so used to.

Quick question... would roundhouses still be used in this era?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
...
Quick question... would roundhouses still be used in this era?

Most definitely! A lot of roundhouses were turned into places where diesels had light repairs done. This was also the case at the various shops that were kept open after diesels came on the scene, although not in as great numbers as when steam was around. This was cheaper than building new facilities esp. where land was at a premium. With the ones that were kept, the RR would more times than not remove the turntable and replace with some switches going to the stalls that were used. Easier maintenance.

I know the old L&N roundhouse in Mobile was used for this up until the mid nineties before being removed. The turntable had been removed in the early sixties, and the roundhouse was torn down from 20 or so stalls to only 6. I have some pix around here somewhere of that facility.
 
I model the era from the 1940's to around 1962, that's about the time diesels completely took over the rails. The selection of head end power is ENORMOUS, that's why I like it. From diesel BL2's, PA's, F-units, E-units, DL109's, to almost the complete array of steam engines. Anything from the small 0-40 switchers to the monster compounds and the 2-10-2. So much to choose from.

There are actually turntables still in use today, such as the one at the New Haven, Indiana yard of the NS, a former NKP facility. And the foundation of the old roundhouse can still be seen.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Awesome! Thanks for the input fellas. I'm thinking I will put a roundhouse in somewhere at the left end so I'll have sort of a "Headquarters" to supply the rest of the rail with Engines. This will be great once incorporated into the original layout I want to do.

If you look at my original layout I'm thinking I will attach it to front of the left side of the layout. I'll probably connect the track at the straight run right after the curve down the left side of the layout. So that means I'll have to incorporate a small bit of rise in this layout in order to plan for the future.

I'm totally pumped about this now!
 
So scrap the roundhouse idea... it' just takes up way too much space. Here's a test fit for an idea. It's assuming the space I have to work in is minimum 2x8. The two ends at the top and bottom right would continue on and get incorporated into the original 4x8 that I planned.
 
Hey that's actually a pretty nifty trackplan, I can just see a 44 tonner (standard or narrow gauge) working the industries out and back.
You could also add another loop at the other end of the rear track and make it a two level switching layout, hmmm....
 
Looks like a good switching layout to me also. I was about to say, although you already figured it out, that a turntable and roundhouse will never fit on a small shelf layout unless that's the only thing you have on it.
 
Good news!!! I went by the house on Saturday morning, again... no tape measure. But I was able to tell that the "nook" is more than 24". And it was definitely wider than 8'. So it looks like I might be looping the entire layout and making it much larger than planned. :D I can't wait to get started!!!
 
Isn't in funny how life works...

Just got moved into the house this weekend and I'm getting excited about starting on my train set-up. Found out last night baby #2 is on the way. Looks like time and money are going to limited for yet another year or two. :D

But heck, I wouldn't trade another kid for all the trains in the world.

Woo hoo for #2
 
Aaron, congratulations on the pending arrival of train #2. :) You can keep planning and maybe even pick up an engine or a few freight cars along the way. Model railraoding will still be around when you've got the time and money.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top