Hi All.
My name is Jan (male, sorry about that), and I am new to the hobby. I'm 56 and don't know why, but all of the sudden I decided I wanted to play with trains. Never did as a kid, so go figure.
Anyway, I've been reading some books, and lurking a lot. I've started my benchwork for a 4'x8' layout and hope to finish it tomorrow. Good timing as I ordered Woodland Scenic's River Pass layout and the Atlas track pack and they are due to arrive tomorrow. I know, probably a bit ambitious for such a newbie, but I rarely take small bites but I plan on taking my time. DIY is re-running the River Pass series and I have my TiVo set to get all of the related shows.
Now, here is where you all may want to get me disbarred: Before I bought anything but a couple of magazines and books, I had an idea for my first layout. Time and place correct. Nice, but to me - boring. Isn't this hobby suppose to be fun? Well sorry, but my original idea was just going though the motions. Research, etc. was kind of interesting but beyond that, I was beginning to lose interest in the hobby before really beginning.
So I thought, "I'm kind of a wacky guy", so I have decided to go a little wacky. For instance, this is a link to the first setting I want to put in my world:
http://www.whatithink.evadanit.com/images/funny/redneck-mansion.JPG
I have started a notebook with printouts of wacky images so I won't forget them as I move forward.
Now, this is where you will want to shoot me but I plan on my train being what I like and if that means a steam engine will be pulling a modern tank car, you will just have to shoot me because that might be what I want.
It's all meant in good fun. So, either put me on ignore (I hope you won't) or give me some wacky suggestions as I progress.
I look forward to sharing future images with you and getting your help.
My name is Jan (male, sorry about that), and I am new to the hobby. I'm 56 and don't know why, but all of the sudden I decided I wanted to play with trains. Never did as a kid, so go figure.
Anyway, I've been reading some books, and lurking a lot. I've started my benchwork for a 4'x8' layout and hope to finish it tomorrow. Good timing as I ordered Woodland Scenic's River Pass layout and the Atlas track pack and they are due to arrive tomorrow. I know, probably a bit ambitious for such a newbie, but I rarely take small bites but I plan on taking my time. DIY is re-running the River Pass series and I have my TiVo set to get all of the related shows.
Now, here is where you all may want to get me disbarred: Before I bought anything but a couple of magazines and books, I had an idea for my first layout. Time and place correct. Nice, but to me - boring. Isn't this hobby suppose to be fun? Well sorry, but my original idea was just going though the motions. Research, etc. was kind of interesting but beyond that, I was beginning to lose interest in the hobby before really beginning.
So I thought, "I'm kind of a wacky guy", so I have decided to go a little wacky. For instance, this is a link to the first setting I want to put in my world:
http://www.whatithink.evadanit.com/images/funny/redneck-mansion.JPG
I have started a notebook with printouts of wacky images so I won't forget them as I move forward.
Now, this is where you will want to shoot me but I plan on my train being what I like and if that means a steam engine will be pulling a modern tank car, you will just have to shoot me because that might be what I want.
It's all meant in good fun. So, either put me on ignore (I hope you won't) or give me some wacky suggestions as I progress.
I look forward to sharing future images with you and getting your help.
