ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I have several Atlas silver series diesel locos. As of right now I am using DC. What do I have to do to get the ditch lights to work? Shortly I will be using DCC but for now DC will have to do. I am not the best at wiring/electronics so the easier way the better. One more thing will they be a solid light at all times or flash off and on?
If you are going to be switching to DCC soon, I'd wait until then. You'll basically have to redo all the wiring when you switch.
The easiest way to add ditchlights to DC engines is to wire them in with the headlights. Just add two more bulbs. You'll need to play with resistors so the bulbs don't get fried. These lights will be on solid when ever the headlight is on.
For flashing ditchlights in DC you'd have to buy an after market circuit to do that. Most decoders can do it in DCC with each ditchlight wired to a separate function output, so a 4 function decoder will be needed.
Not to jack your thread but i have another ditch lights question. I have an athearn sd-60 with dcc. I bought ditch lights and resistors. Hobby shop said to tie the ditch lights into my front headlights. Do only the ditch lights need resistors, or should i solder all the wires together?
If the ditch light bulbs and the headlight bulbs are the same, ie all 1.5v bulbs. Just tie them all in together. The Athearn light board already has resistors built in.
If they are different, then only the ditch lights need resistors.