ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Here are the first couple of shots of my new layout. I am building it in modules. This is the only tricky part where I have an over under that meets around the bend. This will all be covered by a mountain scene and pushed against a corner. This way I can build it up pretty high to give it some depth. At the top of the foam riser on the far end there will be a trestle bridge going over the other track and from there it will continue up on the ridge before winding back down. I will take some better pictures and update you guys along the way.
By the way, the pink foam in the middle is just scraps not scenery.
Oh, I forgot to add that this is roughly what the final will look like. I want to add some industries and sidings in the middle but I have not decided what yet.
MXD, looks like the start of a really nice O scale layout. My one concern is your grades. Have you actually calculated the grade percentage? The top, or rear track, looks like it has a pretty stiff grade.
MXD, looks like the start of a really nice O scale layout. My one concern is your grades. Have you actually calculated the grade percentage? The top, or rear track, looks like it has a pretty stiff grade.
Those are the Woodland Scenic 4% risers so they should be correct. I didn't measure them for myself though. Since this is my first real layout I thought I would take the easy way out and buy those instead of build them myself. Part of the steep appearance might be the fact that the two tracks start a 8 inches and 0 inches on the back side. Then as they come around, the outer track climbs to 4 inches and the inner track descends to 4 inches. There might be an optical illusion going on there.
No, it actually looked like about a 4% grade from the pictures. Using the WS risers is actually a good idea because you'll get a much smoother grade than any other method if this is your first layout. Since both grades are on continuous curves and you are in O scale, the flange friction on the grade will be substantial. Your nominal 4% grade will probably be closer to the equivalent of 5% with friction taken into account. It will work, but you'll either need short trains or lots of power to overcome that steep a grade.
It is designed to run in one direction for the most part and the tighter of the 2 curves (o45) is the down grade. The climb is on o54 so hopefully that will help. Plus this corner will be hidden under a mountain. I plan on testing it before I box it all in and if I have an issue I am going to buy the 2% risers and stick them on these upside down since this is already glued. The only reason I went with 4 was because it allowed me to clear a standard 8 inch tall tunnel portal. I might end up having to make one and shorten the height it if I need to cut the grade a bit.
No problem. Giving everything a good test before you box it in is always a good plan. Do you know what kind of engines you'll be using yet? Some O scale engines have a lot more drawbar pull than others so that might be something to consider if you haven't bought motive power yet. Model Railroader lists the drawbar pull of each model engine they test so, assuming you're a subscriber, it would be a good idea to check the reviews of any engine you're going to buy and, all other things being equal, get the ones with the best drawbar pull.
I can't find a review for that particular engine either but it's one of Lionel's better models. It's got a big motor. Combined with the all metail engine and tender, I would think it's puts out some pretty decent drawbar pull. I'd expect it to be able to haul maybe 8-10 cars up that grade.