I have a 300 watt power supply from an old computer.
Using a watt to amp calculator I find that a 12 volts I will have 25 amps.
I want to use it to power 17 Tortoise machines and 34 leds.
Adding all that up I came up with about 1 amp.
34X.02 + 17X.016 =.68+.30 = 1 amp.
Would I be correct in thinking that I could use this for other things if I calculated the watts I was using and subtracted that
from 300 and used that wattage at say 5 volt to figure out the amperage I would have left to use?
First a word of caution; computer power supplies can be very dangerous. They have high voltage capacitors and can hold a charge indefinitely after being unplugged. They can easily discharge through YOU even after sitting for long periods of time.
Keep in mind that the total power output of the supply is 300 watts, but that is spread across several outputs. 12volt, 5volt, etc. What you need to know is the maximum current for each output. Also the total power rating is for the power it consumes, not the power available. You could lose as much as 20% or more through the natural inefficiency of the power supply. Much of the wasted power is consumed by making heat and running the fan to keep the system cool.
Another thing to keep in mind is the power supplies are one of the most fragile parts in a computer. From my experiences (several hundred systems) power supplies are the cause of breakdowns about 20% of the time or more depending on the quality and age of the computer itself. The older the power supply, the more likely it is to fail.
I looked into using a PC power supply, but considering the work and parts involved it does not seem practical for me. The power supply should be new or nearly new. You will also need a complete schematic for the particular power supply to be used. The electrical setup should be made so that the power supply itself can be easily changed when it fails and it will eventually. Ideally you would want gauges to monitor the outputs. You will need to devise some sort of power protection for possible overloads.
These and other factors drove up my estimated cost and it just seemed to me there were other less expensive alternatives.
It can be done and has been done. Using used parts it can cost very little, but I would question the reliability of a used power supply.
Let us know how you make out and be safe!