An easy to build tool to make corrugated metal.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Most all of us at one time or another use corrugated iron in a building and the stuff is a bit expensive . This little tool , not too hard to make , solves that . Take a look. Then I will explain itand how to make one.
 
OK , Now to explain the tool. It is 1 inch x 1 1/4 inch . This is plenty wide enough to make roofing material from heavy duty Reynolds Wrap that will be over 4 feet wide in HO scale. The materials needed are 1/4 inch square brass, 1/8 X 1/4 brass, 2/56 threaded rod,a small piece of "U" channel and a couple of 2/56 x 3/4 screws. I used allen head screws because they were easy to use as "thumbscrews" . The 2/56 rod is best found at a shop dealing in RC model airplanes, it is used for control rods. Looking at the tool pretty much tells its own story , but a couple of points are in order, the short movable cross screw needs to have flats ground on each end to prevent it from rotating or sliding sideways either, not tight in the channels but with minimal movement , and the small "pressure pads" are soldered on. The long threaded rod has a slot cut in it for adjustment to insure the threads of the two are perfectly intermeshed to create the pressure needed to form the aluminum foil. Hope this is enough to get a bunch of these little buggers built. I am sure some one will find a way to build one with a plastic frame.

Dave
 
Brilliant! You should hurry and patent this thing before MicroMark does...:p

Seriously though, I can see another use: To make fluting for the sides of streamlined passenger cars.
 


Brilliant! You should hurry and patent this thing before MicroMark does...:p

Seriously though, I can see another use: To make fluting for the sides of streamlined passenger cars.

Only in model railroading will you find someone who picks SLUG for a handle!! ;):confused:
Seems a bit unlikely that Micro mark will jump on it , I posted all this information on another RR forum several years ago and nothing seems to have happened -- I hope a few folks have made their own.
It would make corrugated metal sides for cars but handeling the car would be likely to crush them -- they are made out of aluminum foil after all.
One thing I forgot to mention is that for different scales all one must do is use different size threaded rod -- 0/80 for N , 4-40 for S--- possibly 5/48 (very hard to find) or 6/32 would work in O scale .

Dave
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like he want's to buy a fishing pole ;)


I thought I gave him a saftey pin and some string already:D

Hey ,. I see you are in Lakewood . Looks like we will soon be somewhat neighbors --- I am moving to Granby in Grand county right after the 1st of Sept. It will be nice to only be 80 miles from Cabbose Hobbies!

Dave
 
Just down the highway (and out of the mountains, depending on which way you drive out) from Granby. Lovely area up there, or at least will be once the pine beetle infestation is dealt with. I've spent a lot of time camping and fishing at Shadow Mountain Lake. Moving there for work?

And Caboose rocks. Despite my wife's protests I can spend hours there just looking and scheming.
 
Just down the highway (and out of the mountains, depending on which way you drive out) from Granby. Lovely area up there, or at least will be once the pine beetle infestation is dealt with. I've spent a lot of time camping and fishing at Shadow Mountain Lake. Moving there for work?

And Caboose rocks. Despite my wife's protests I can spend hours there just looking and scheming.



Till she drags you out kicking and screaming!!:eek:

I am moving there because I QUIT working!! My son and I bought a house there , he has lived there for several years and has hounded me to retire since I turned 65 --- 6 years ago! On the other hand I Will be helping my son raise my 4 year old grandaughter --- probably more work than I plan on !
On the other hand she has already promised to teach me to fish and will even put the squiggly worms on the hook if they scare me!
Here is my fishing teacher.
 


I thought I gave him a saftey pin and some string already:D

Hey ,. I see you are in Lakewood . Looks like we will soon be somewhat neighbors --- I am moving to Granby in Grand county right after the 1st of Sept. It will be nice to only be 80 miles from Cabbose Hobbies!

Dave


Well technically you just gave me a picture and description of a safety pin and string but i'd also be open to getting one in kit form... :cool:
 
Well technically you just gave me a picture and description of a safety pin and string but i'd also be open to getting one in kit form... :cool:


Dave --- Tree farmer ?? Hmmm ? :rolleyes: You grow BASSWOOD? Perhaps I could make you a Kit after I get moved and set up IF you got a bunch of Bass trees :confused: or was the fishing pole idea to Catch Bass -- the squiggly kind?

Dave
 
Most all of us at one time or another use corrugated iron in a building and the stuff is a bit expensive . This little tool , not too hard to make , solves that . Take a look. Then I will explain itand how to make one.

Well done on a great little invention. :) I could have used a device like this 20 years ago but these days I don't have the need to produce corro iron roofing sheets.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top