Albuquerque window washer

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Does anyone remember the forklift window washer that used to be in Albuquerque, New Mexico?

While I'm too young to have seen it under Santa Fe operation, I fondly remember it being used by Amtrak. This sure was a highlight on the Southwest Chief. Too bad Amtrak stopped using it...sometime in the 1990s I believe.

I kitbashed/scratch built one for my HO layout:

i0VQs.jpg


6cVOZ.jpg


bOOtW.jpg


99eV7.jpg


r6cuL.jpg


Although I don't model Albuquerque, I thought the window washer would look great with my Walthers Hi-Level cars. To make the washer, I used a Dyna-Model forklift, a car washer part from Stewart Products, a Preiser figure, and odds and ends of styrene, wood, wire, etc...

Here's what the real one looked like:
nmBcW.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Very cool, now that's a unique model!
I'm guessing by the fact that both the HO and 1/1 operators are looking backwards it must have been operated in reverse.
That and there is little to no visibility thru all that machinery looking ahead!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top