Adding working lights to firetruck?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Does anyone have experience adding working lights to a fire truck or police car. Are kits sold to do it and i would assume the level of difficulty would be high?
Any help as i have a building on fire in my layout.

Ken
 
I bought 2 sets of altenating strobes off of Ebay about a year ago & installed them in 2 large Fire Trucks that I had bought at WM(1/87th). It was a Challenge to take the metal trucks apart, but, FUN. I then put the trucks sticking out the front doors of the FireStation & hooked them up to a small DC Transformer. I get a lot of oohs & aahs from visitors. Especially retired Firemen.:D
 


Hi northernwoodw,

I model in HO scale and I got some police cars and ambulances and fire trucks in 1/87 scale from the states. I have put flashing lights in the police cars and also the ambulances, fire trucks next. I first started out by making a simple alternating flasher for the first police car it works great then I thought times have changed and the light bars on emergency vehicles have changed, so I made a circuit up that flashes the red light twice then the blue one twice and keeps alternating like that, they look a lot better, and with the ambulances seeing how they have so many lights around the vehicle I made an alternating flasher for the sides and back and front. The fire trucks should be a lot easier to setup as they are bigger and I should be able to use a bigger led, 2mm that is, so that's my next project.
 
Emergency lights

Today at the Dalton, Ohio Train and Toy Show, over 400 tables, I spotted a company that does this stuff. Try this link:

Lights4Models.com

614-296-8691 I believe it's Columbus, Ohio area. No name on the card.

Wayne
 
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the link, however they are way way too expensive, almost a joke, for 5 leds they want $15, and for a single led they want $3.50, that's non flashing, 3mm or 5mm or smd or 1.8mm, prices the same for flashing leds, they only know two prices $15.00 & $3.50.
 
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the link, however they are way way too expensive, almost a joke, for 5 leds they want $15, and for a single led they want $3.50, that's non flashing, 3mm or 5mm or smd or 1.8mm, prices the same for flashing leds, they only know two prices $15.00 & $3.50.

I have some 3 & 5mm Flashing Red or Yellow LED's, but they aren't strobes.
If you want some PM me w/your address.
 
Go on Ebay & check out these 2 sellers that I buy from all the time(from China).
Cliffordjames2006 & his Ebay store is; Transistor parts Wholesale

& another one is; WeHonest_US

It usually only takes about a week to get stuff from them & I have been buying from them for about 4 years.
 
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your kind offer, but I am not in need of any leds as I have plenty, I was just referring to an earlier post about
Lights4Models.com prices. I know Lu from wehonest and have been dealing with him for years. I just wanted to thank you Larry for your kind offer, many thanks.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top