Adding Another Mountain

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Been doing some work on a Foam mountain to be placed where I took out the Refinery. It will be about 15ft long when finished. & about 8 inches deep & about 18" tall give or take a few inches. An automobile tunnel at both ends.
The initial glueing all of the blocks of Pink & Green Foam together took about a week to dry. I also attached them together w/wood Skew sticks so the foam wouldn't bow. I use to use long nails & then pull them out when the glue had set, but, now the skew sticks work a lot better. You don't have to take them out.
Then the other day I started grinding down the foam w/a 4"Angle grinder.
Then I did some more work w/a dremel tool & then cut slots for the Pinebark & glued those in. I figure about 3 more days & all of those will be dry.
Then fill in all the gaps w/latex caulk, flat black wash, color the rest, add foliage(oops getting ahead of myself) more later.:D:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lol before i read your post i just kept looking at your mountain pics, i kept wondering why you put little turds all over... haha now i realize its just pine bark

You have a wonderful layout btw, i hope some day i can make my layout look half as good as yours :)
 
lol before i read your post i just kept looking at your mountain pics, i kept wondering why you put little turds all over... haha now i realize its just pine bark

You have a wonderful layout btw, i hope some day i can make my layout look half as good as yours :)

Most mountains I put together don't ever look like a mtn. until I get about 2 thirds of finishing them. I've even had comments that that thing is ugly & doesn't even have the looks of a mountain. Then when it's finished, a diff. idea. I hope this one turns out better than the others. Never know till it's finished.:eek:
 


Atleast you get a A for effort right?

I wasnt trying to bad mouth your mountain in any way, i like to see things come together from start to finish, i have some hills on my layout you can build for me:D
Are you taking a trip to the u-p of michigan soon??? j/k
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Atleast you get a A for effort right?

I wasnt trying to bad mouth your mountain in any way, i like to see things come together from start to finish, i have some hills on my layout you can build for me:D
Are you taking a trip to the u-p of michigan soon??? j/k
Last time I was in Michigan was 1994 on a 1 week vacation in Cassopolis.:D
 
Did a Flat Black wash on the mountains this morning. Next is the colors for rock patterns, etc.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Theres more than one way to skin a cat Larry, I have never seen mountains done that way before and I am sure they will look great when finished.

That is the beauty of our great hobby, so many different ways to do things.
 
As was mentioned upstream, it tends to be difficult to judge how well scenery is turning out only mid-way through construction. Certainly, until one gets the finished surface detailing (dirt, bushes, trees) in place, the degree of realism and sucess is always somewhat in question. I tend to think that your effort will look quite good if you add sufficient groundcover around the protruding bark chips, leaving only a small amount of their surface exposed.

Personally, I've had a lot of success simply carving the foam blocks that make up the hillside/mountain itself to form my rocky outcropings. It's messy work, but it allows complete modeler control over the final appearance, as illustrated below.

thecut2a-1.jpg


rockstrata_edited-1B.jpg


NYW&B
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Larry,

Is that some sort of water channel that runs up and down near the center with pine bark angling towards it on either side?
 


Larry,

Is that some sort of water channel that runs up and down near the center with pine bark angling towards it on either side?

Sure is!! There's openings for 3 waterfalls on 1 mountain & the other half has openings for 2 waterfalls. If you-all look at the mountains in one of the sections of my 5 waterfalls into 3 ponds of the RR bridge almost the whole sides of the mountain is PineBark. When I started the scenes everyone said they couldn't imagine what it was going to look like w/all those chunks of wood running vertical. When I finshed all of the mountainside & all of the falls people couldn't beleive how it looked.
Almost every mountain I build I always manage to have a Waterfall somewhere on the scene. I have a way of making waterfalls that make them look like real water flowing down the sides. It took a lot of experimenting over the years to come up with what I do.
 
Did some more work on the colors of the mountain today. Also painted the gloss white in the grooves where the waterfalls are going. Tomorrow, gotta buy the mirrors for the tunnel ends at WM. Then I will post some more pics.
My mountains are not "Mountains in Minutes", more like "mountains in months." :):D;):rolleyes:
 
come on larry... you get us excited with the details but then no pictures :rolleyes:

I know. Just get wrapped up in something & forget to take the pictures.
I'll try for sure to get them tomorrow since I worked about 4 hrs. today adding more colors & the silicone to the waterfalls. Hope to start adding the foliage tomorrow too. Did cover the top w/Grass today.:)
 
Here's a few more shots after I did the work yesterday & working on them right now.:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Finished up all the mountain faces on both sections. Next are the roads & the mirrors in the tunnels.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


4 more pics. one showing the length of both pcs.

In the next 2 months I've got to make a bunch of tree's & when I do I'll add a few on these mountains.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top