Accurail vs Athearn

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


cncproadwarrior

North of the 49th
I like Athearn so much (price vs quality) that 99% of my rolling stock is by Athearn.

How does Accurail rolling stock measure up next to Athearn?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Accurail kits are better detailed. The lettering is crisper and so are the grab irons and ladders. I have very few problems with their kits right out of the box.

One drawback on the older Accurail kits is the trucks and coupler pockets are assembled with plastic pins which occasionally break. Also the Accurail wheels are terrible. I throw them right in the trash. Usually I have to use the tool on the Accurail trucks to clean out the hubs otherwise the wheels don't spin well. I do the same of the Athearn, I just get more material out of the Accurail ones.

On their new kits Accurail offers additional road number decals. You send in the slip of paper with a couple of dollars and you get a sheet with six or eight numbers. The decals are colored to match the car body so you do not have to remove the old numbers.

In my rolling stock I would say 60% of my kits are Athearn with 35% Accurail, and 5% someone else.
 
I agree with Tom... they are both decent for the price. The Accurail wheels do leave a little to be desired. Make the swap and your good to go!
 


I have swapped the Accurail wheelsets with Kadee wheelsets. Also I am not really happy with AccuMate couplers. I would rather use Kadees - more durable.
 
I agree with Tom, also. I like the detail better on Accurail. I change out the wheels to Proto 2000s and the couplers to Kadees on both Accurail and Athearn cars. Accurail offers more cars in my era (1930's) than Athearn. At least it seems that way.
 
I think they both are a great deal for the kit form budget minded person. I do think that the paint is better on the accurail and I like the coupler pockets better. I do like the Atherns metal wheels that are included. both have the plastic knuckle couplers that are not great for any long heavy trains. Price wise you will spend a few dollars more for accurail once you put metal wheels on the car but they are both nice models for any layout.

Trent
 
So, if we're not all that committed to minute detail, would it be more advantageous to go with rolling stock that's less expensive, such as Athearn, and replace couplers as needed? My only complaint with Athearn thus far is with couplers. I have replaced quite a few so far. I just ordered a bulk package of Kadee 148 Whisker couplers. I will replace couplers on all of my rolling stock. And when I buy additional rolling stock I will replace couplers before use. Finally, is there a quality difference between Athearn's RTC rolling stock and kits?


Happy Railroading,

ST
 
ST

you are correct that the couplers are a little poor on the atherns the metal tabs always seam to fail at some point in time. they let louse with a good jolt or derail. the trick with them is to inspect the area that the tabs attach. any plastic flash that is left in that area helps the metal clip come off. trim the flash off and make sure the little plastic tangs are nice and sharp to keep the tab from coming off. once the metal clip is on take some needle nose pliers and gently pinch it down around the pocket. Also a dab of CA glue to the sides of the tabs will help keep them on. I have about 70 freight cars 65 of them are athern. many are over 10 years old and still roll and look great
 
Not really possible to make a general comparison. Accurail has been around for maybe 15 years. Their kits are modestly priced and modestly detailed, generally easy to assemble, even the open auto rack. Athearn's product line spans 55 years and includes acquired products from other manufacturers which may or may not have been upgraded, their own vintage stuff, and current state of the art stuff. The current state of the art stuff is superior to Accurail, much of the rest of it is comparable or inferior. Of course Accurail has a few items, most notably the Paragon auto rack, which have nothing comparable in the Athearn line or anyone else's.

So picking one over the other would depend literally on which product, and whether a head to head comparison is possible. Can't even really compare "Santa Fe Box Car" from one to the other, as both have multiple box cars in their product line.

Andy
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top