Accu rail cars

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I've got some of their box cars, hoppers, and gons. If you are looking for add on microscopic nit picking details you won't find them on these kits but they are very acceptable otherwise. No complaints other than I toss the Accumate couplers for Kadees but I do that with all brands unless they came with Kadees. Price is reasonable for what you get and I also like that they offer cars with dimensional data only so I can apply my own home road decals. Saves time and money.
 


Ditto what Mike says. I have 75+, mostly ACF covered hoppers. In addition to using KD couplers, I use a 2-56 x 1/4" screw to attach the trucks instead of the pegs. More recent runs have screws instead of pegs. On the older cars, with the snap-in coupler box cover, I drill and tap for a screw also (2-56 x 1/8"); they do break off quickly. Again, the newer versions have screws supplied. Now that I have more time for detailing, I am gradually adding A-Line stirup steps to them. Easy to do. I definitely recommend them for populating a layout quickly and inexpensively.
willie
 
I have 24 covered hoppers, and untold number of boxcars. And as stated above I change the couplers to Kadees and metal wheels. I only drill and add screws when the coupler pocket fails Phil
 
The Accurail cars is and was IMHO a step above the MDC and some BB cars.

These are great inexpensive car kits.Add KD couplers and metal wheels and you're good.The older kits had terrible looking wheels-replace them with the wheels of your choice and these older kits used a push pin to hold the trucks on..I have never had a problem with these pins just be sure they are snug when you push them in..If that bothers you then a 2-56(?) screw should get the job done-use a self tapping screw or a tap.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love Accurail cars! Their outside braced box cars are really nice as are everything else they make. I'm glade they have finally gone to screws for holding the coupler boxes together. Although I have used the pins for the trucks without problems, screws are a better choice! Like everyone else, I change the wheels: but, I change to Proto 2000. I have used the Accumate couplers and found them to be less then optimum and am slowly tossing them and putting in Kadees #5s.
 


Same comments about wheels and couplers. I have a number of kits in "storage" pending my grandchild getting a bit older. Then I will have the problem of where to put them (my 14 x 14 room-filling layout is already overpopulated with about every kind of rolling stock you can imagine, the product of about 55 years of model railroading)! With Athearn Blue Box kits gone (except at swap meets, etc.), AccuRail are IMHO the best kits available.
 
I like the Accurail cars because the plastic that they are made off is easy to kitbash or carve as in carving off certain moulded on details.

Here are some samples of details added which can enhance the model's appearance.

I especially like the 3 bay hopper, which I haven't carved yet.

Also they make a nice double deck autorack kit. To make it prototypical all I had to do was carve off two details and not put in the braces.
 
I think they are great cars.

Details are very good and they are rather easy to assemble.

Sure miss the old Athearn blue box cars...............
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top