Abandoned lines on layouts

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I've seen abandoned lines on layouts sometimes.I like how it looks on layouts.When I had a 4X8 layout it had an abandoned spur with a pile of ties,rails laying to the side,but the crossing was still there.I've seen ties but no rails on a diorama and it looked nice.When I build my next layout,I'm going to have several variations of abandoned lines.
 
Yes , by all means ! They look great and serve another purpose. Place old decrepit equipment on the abandoned track. Tall weeds, solid rust on the rails. Gray, broken ties, vines....it's a most on any city railroad.

This would be a good idea for a thread. Pictures of your abandoned spur.
 
Sometimes it's also best to have old crossing signs and signals on the abandoned crossings.When I had my layout,I put 1 crossbuck at the crossing.
 


When I build my next layout,I'm going to have several variations of abandoned lines.
This is an excellent topic, years ago there was a layout in MR mag that had an abandoned narrow gauge RR. Just enough modeled to show there was one. I was fascinated by the presentation and still remember it to this day. I hope you'll post your work when you start on it.
Cheers Willis
 
I know of several abandoned rails and structures. As soon as I get to them and learn how to upload them I'll post them for you. I travel the lower 48 states regularly for work. So I've slowly been trying to get pics for my layout. I'm more than happy to share with whomever needs or enjoys them.
 
The N-scale diorama I'm working on now for a future layout is an abandoned mine. It has an abandoned track & broken coal hopper. It's not near finished, but here's what's there so far.

coalmine07.jpg


coalmine08.jpg
 
That scene looks terrific Chip keep us posted with the progress, but it looks to be finished now, can't be too much more to do.
Anytime any mines or steel mills close around here the sites have to be cleaned up and the land returned to orig. topography by law, so there's no abandoned mines or mills that I know of around here.

Cheers Willis
 
Our club has models of abandoned trackage in three places.

The first one is an old siding in an urban area, just a second track off a still-active siding. We modeled it with the ties left behind and parts of the old turnout still in place, but there was a territorial dispute where another guy insisted on building a retaining wall and a slope in a place where there would have been a clearance problem when the track was in use. We didn't feel like tearing up stuff we'd done, so we just left it. Nobody ever notices.

The second one is just the end of a siding which once used to be longer. There are supposed to be ruts in the ground where the ties used to be, and one tie left behind to make it clearer.

The last one is an abandoned branch with a bridge still in place (unlikely, given that the track has been gone long enough to get a bit overgrown, but anyway). The object here was to put some visual clutter in front of the tunnel mouth that you can see on the right, one of those "geographically unlikely" places that we all seem to have where a track needs to dive out of sight. I wasn't greatly in favor of this, but it came out not too bad.
 
Those look terrific Chip & JohnP . I have old abandoned line that sits about a 100 yards from my house . I live on an old stone quarry so it must have served this area . Have to check back in the archives to see I guess . When the weather clears will have to take a walk over and get some pics to post . forgot about it till you guys brought it up on this post . Thanks.
 


One of Model Railroader's annuals (can't recall which one) showed a layout with a track that didn't go anywhere, went under a bridge and curved away. It was not connected to any other track. What was neat about it was the track was used as a DCC programming track, no need to have any other special track or to take the chance of doing it on a line that was in use.
 
Hmmm... all this talk of abandoned lines gves me an idea. Those of you who've seen pictures of layout know I have street running through my downtown to a couple of industries. It's a concrete strip in brick streets. I would be neat to have a abandoned, paved over spur to another business which now uses trucks. I'm trying to come up with an easy way to simulate this without tearing up part of the brick street for a concrete strip. If I just use paint, it won't look very good since it will look like concrete painted brick. I was thinking about something like electician's tape painted concrete. Do you all this would look good or is the tape too thick and then I'd have what looked like concrete piece of tape running down the street? :)
 
If I just use paint, it won't look very good since it will look like concrete painted brick.
May be you could use a kind of filler( car industry or from "Revell" ..put a thin layer, almost a film, over the "bricks" let it dry and make it flat/smooth with very fine sandingpaper or even beter waterproofsandingpaper...give it a color with some deluted alkyde paint just like you do with watercolors/aquarel building up the intensity of colors...

Jos
 
?

Hmmm... all this talk of abandoned lines gves me an idea. Those of you who've seen pictures of layout know I have street running through my downtown to a couple of industries. It's a concrete strip in brick streets. I would be neat to have a abandoned, paved over spur to another business which now uses trucks. I'm trying to come up with an easy way to simulate this without tearing up part of the brick street for a concrete strip. If I just use paint, it won't look very good since it will look like concrete painted brick. I was thinking about something like electician's tape painted concrete. Do you all this would look good or is the tape too thick and then I'd have what looked like concrete piece of tape running down the street? :)

My brain is moving in slow motion today. Not quite sure what you're looking to do. Can you put up a picture of the area on your layout and just place a strip of tape where you want this pave over to exist. Maybe if I can see it in my thick head I can maybe help you with an idea.
 
Jos, using some kind of putty might work if I get it thin enough and sraight enough so it looks like where the tracks ran.

B&S, I'm out of commision with a badly infected left hand and I have a hard enough time taking a decent picture when both hands are working. :) This is a picture of a portion of the current street trackage:

GP35onMainStMedium.jpg


I'd like to model a spur running off to the right down Central Avenue that would have served a warehouse down there but it's no longer in use. What I envision is the same type of concrete strip in the middle of the street but with the tracks paved over with asphalt. I'm just trying to figure out a way to do this without tearing up the existing brick steet but still make it look like an old street running spur.
 
Wow!

Jos, using some kind of putty might work if I get it thin enough and sraight enough so it looks like where the tracks ran.

B&S, I'm out of commision with a badly infected left hand and I have a hard enough time taking a decent picture when both hands are working. :) This is a picture of a portion of the current street trackage:

GP35onMainStMedium.jpg


I'd like to model a spur running off to the right down Central Avenue that would have served a warehouse down there but it's no longer in use. What I envision is the same type of concrete strip in the middle of the street but with the tracks paved over with asphalt. I'm just trying to figure out a way to do this without tearing up the existing brick steet but still make it look like an old street running spur.

WOW, Jim ! Sorry to hear about your hand :eek: Take care of that most important modeler's tool !
I can see why you don't want to touch that brick street ! That scene is intense ! Just the way I like it :) Now if I understand you collectly, there would have been a diamond at that intersection. A discoloration of concrete would show where the newer concrete was filled in where the rails used to be. That would take care of the diamond. Now the street would have to show that concrete strip with the rail gaps filled in just as it would have been at the diamond. Am I right so far ?

You might want to rethink this....I wouldn't want to cover any part of those bricks. But if you're determined, then maybe the boys and I can come up with some ideas.

Larry
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's been so long since I've run any trains, the locals are starting to think their railroad is abandoned!! :eek: :rolleyes:
 
Wow is right! It looks great. I'd love to see pics when you're done covering the track along with the details of how you did it. Although... I'd hate to mess with the brick too.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top