ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I found a place on google maps that I want to sketch out as a possible track plan in N scale.
My brain doesn't work in numbers. How the heck do I convert the scale on the map (2.5" = 377') and make that N scaleable?
Let me know if this doesn't make sense to you, it doesn't make sense to me!
Find the feet using the map, then convert to n scale, ( divide by 160 ) or use the calculator at html://www.mrrservice.com
So I need to get the map scale down to 1" = whatever, and then divide that number by 160. Is that right?
Find the real feet (2.5" =337') so if it's 5", 674feet/160 = 4.025 feet
So in your example, 5" on the paper would be 4.025 feet in real life in N scale?
Sorry to be so dense on this stuff. It makes my brain hurt.
Correct. I usually convert the real feet to inches and then do the calculation, since often you don't get an even foot, but with a map that's pretty darn hard to do, and maps are close but not 100% accurate on distance anyway.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)